AJuff

Honey

I'm hoping to get some in a week or two - no time this weekend to take it off. Not sure how much I will have, but hoping for 10-15lbs between my two hives.

I tend not to bother with Porter bee escapes, the one time I used them it was not successful! I can't lift a full super on my own, so I tend to put an empty one on the picnic table nearby, and take frames out a few at a time - I use the 'bang and brush' technique.

Good luck with yours, I hope you've got a good harvest :D

I use beequick - it smells strongly of almonds which the bees hate. You spray a kitchen drying up towel or similar, drape it over the top of the supers, put the roof back on and leave for a while. The bees go back down into the brood box so when you lift the super there are only a couple of bees in it. Most of the time our bees are quite benign but I have seen next doors quite angry when we took the honey and didn't use the beequick. I think they'd sensed what was about to happen as it was the last hive of 5!

This year we have no honey :( On the upside I confidently predict neither myself nor OH will have to be taken to A&E which has happened for the past 2 seasons!

Does the bee quick taint the honey?

I made myself some clearer boards from rhombus escapes...one cut in half and placed over holes at opposite corners. Works a treat, no moving parts like Porters.

I might have a super full between four boxes.

They are all 14x12 so shouldn't need honey in supers so I'll just try to get them to move any uncapped stores into the brood box.

I took off eight frames today between my two hives - there was more but it was uncapped. I made a fundamental mistake last year, and extracted some frames with uncapped honey in and it all fermented - lesson learned, so I just took the ones that were 90% capped. I've just extracted it, I won't know how much till I bottle it tomorrow but around 20lbs or so I hope.

It looks a nice light colour, and tastes lovely (but I find your own honey always does - something to do with the work you put in to get it! :D )

I extracted some uncapped last year. I find that if the frame is three quarter capped the rest will be OK.

Invest in a refractometer....lots of cheapos on ebay....

My supers are coming off tomorrow so that I can feed for a few days before starting thymol treatment but I doubt there will be much there.

I'll put it under the brood boxes after treatment for the bees to take up.

I had a few surplus national brood frames with some stores from a unite tucked away in a poly nuc and I was going to s"Ooops, word censored!"e that away but I foolishly left it on the doorstep while I was away for a day and it's been robbed :oops::oops: