robh0123

Access to Eglu Classic door/run area

I have recently acquired an Eglu Mk 2 Classic with a total of 4m run/extension and the new chickens have settled in well.

The feeder/drinker are situated at the end of the run furthest from the Eglu, so that I easily can get at them for refilling, cleaning etc via the run door.

However, I find it difficult to gain access to the outside of the Eglu door/frame and that immediate area of the run, eg for cleaning purposes. If I remove the Eglu lid and open the door, it shields the other half of the doorframe which I want to get to. Additionally, it might be nice to put the feeder/drinker nearer to the Eglu when the weather turns really wintry but this area of the run is unreachable.

Short of unscrewing the Eglu from the run quite frequently, is there a good way of going about this?

Thank you.

Hello :) Unfortunately you can't access the area nearest the door without unscrewing and detaching the run :roll: I started off with my (green eglu) and extended run last November and within a month I'd ordered a WIR. The (green eglu) runs are ridiculous to get access to for cleaning etc and life is so much easier with a WIR. I think Omlet are very cunning and know we'll soon get tired of scrabbling around at ground level and will upgrade :wink:

I'll give you a friendly word of warning though...morehens disease is quite likely to strike (that's wanting more chickens :lol: ) and before you know it, your signature on this Forum could look like mine!! :wink:

Thank you both for the helpful ideas.

To cut a hole in the side feels like a bold idea but it looks really neat in the photo, so I think I will give it a go..........

Do you have any further comments on using as a new door:

1. a 'normal' door from Omlet, vs

2. one of those smaller mesh squares under the corner of the hen house.

Also, are any of the instructions mentioned, still available? I would really like to get this right.

Thanks again.