Lavenders_Blue

Tango is afraid of strangers - any ideas?

Yes, spray the front doormat if you have one or around the front door. When you spray on the hankie or bandana, do it away from Tango and let it dry first. The pheromone is carried in something that is a little like spirit and it evaporates off quickly but dogs don't like the smell/sensation up their noses as it does so. Once dry - which takes seconds, it is fine. I would be inclined to try the Adaptil (DAP) rather than scullcap and valerian as it will serve to teach her that these areas are 'safe and stress free' whereas oral medications will not give her the same association if you get my drift :D

Thanks CM, that's really helpful.

Just to let you know, the itchy skin capsules you sent to try are excellent and have worked really well. I did however end up weaning Tango off them as they made her smell really odd, I can only describe the smell as somewhere between sweaty armpits and curry :vom: She did have another flare up a week or so ago and a few days back on the capsules took it right down again so I will definitely keep them in reserve, but they're not really a long term solution due to the pong :lol: Thankfully she seems to be pretty much okay now.

Yep she has a splash of salmon oil every day. I think it does help on the whole, but something has triggered off a bout of itchiness a couple of times now and I don't know what it could be. I took her to the vet's first time as she kept clawking at her ears and I was convinced she must have picked up an infection or mites, but the vet could find nothing wrong :? It went down in the end with some steroid cream and CM's wonder capsules. Last time it started up after she ate a discarded sandwich in a field :roll: but that's probably coincidence rather than the cause. All very peculiar!