We have a temp camera facing into the door of the cube which is not on permanently as we have to dangle the sensor out of the window to work it so no good when it rains but switched in on Fri night as two hens we got in the summer decided to sleep with the others in the cube so thought we'd see how they got on and I just happened to glance up during the evening and saw a rat going in the door and in amongst the hens! We jumped up and OH thought I must have mistaken it for one of the chickens and then it came back in and walked in around the hens and went back out again. We went out with a torch and discovered a tunnel into the walk in run which must come from under the decking. OH is now out digging down and meshing and concreting down round the WIR but I'm concerned that if rats wanted to they could climb up and go into the ventilation slots of the cube or even the gaps above the poo trays.

Next door had a rat problem previously but it has been dealt with and since then I keep bait boxes and boxed traps permanently and I can only think this has been brought on by the spell of colder weather and the fact that we were away during half term and the food wasn't taken in at night then and these must live under the decking and don't come into the garden.

Has anyone else had any actually going inside the cube? It's bad enough them going in to find food but actually right inside the cube and move around while the hens are sleeping very cheeky! If they wanted to go inside the cube I imagine it would be be very hard to block all the gaps I have noticed that wooden houses have ventilation holes meshed.

I'm afraid that a rat will get into any opening more than ¾" wide no matter what you do, whilst your neighbour has got rid of their rats, I suspect that they have only packed their bags and moved in under your decking... sadly, the fashion for decking has been a godsend for any rat colonies looking for new accommodation.

I'd suggest laying a concrete or slabbed base under your WiR and making sure that the weld mesh is as secure as possible. I'd also get the council or local pest control company out to review your other precautions and lay new bait boxes.

Hope that you get it sorted soon

Thanks Dogmother the weldmesh we've got is 1cm so small guage so should be ok I haven't seen any evidence since but will be keeping on top of the bait and traps and checking just in case. Part of the run is slabbed and the outside is block paving on cement but there is an area of soil where the tunnel appeared which I would like to keep if at all possible the cement and mesh my OH dug round the side seems to have worked failing that he said he might have to dig deep the whole area and mesh under but not looking forward to that especially as his back is playing up!