Luvachicken

More chicken pecking

Just before my girls bedtime, poor Queenie was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and got a huge peck right at the base of her comb. I picked her up as I felt quite sorry for her, and she had been pecked just before that, and as I cuddled her I saw blood coming down her beak.

Poor little thing. I took her indoors and washed her clean and then wiped her with the purple spray, by which time all the others had gone to bed, so I popped her in through the egg hole.

I hope she is ok tomorrow while I'm at work.

But one thing I did learn, is to get some cotton buds, that way I can get the purple spray exactly where I need to.

Poor Queenie. I hope that one peck was the end of the matter and you won't have any further problems.

I have one of my hens in isolation at the moment due to a severe pecking. She's eating well and seems quite happy having a bit of peace and quiet so I'm hoping she'll soon recover and I can reintroduce her.

It's a stressful business though isn't it? :(

Gosh Ariella26, you stay up late.

I agree this chicken lark is stressful at times.

I know we shouldn't have favourites but Queenie is a darling. When I first had her from a little 6 week chick she was quite skittish and nervous and not really a people chick, but now she is perfect and comes to see me all the time, unlike the others, and has conversations with me, and I must admit she is my favourite.

She came from a very good breeder and I'm sure that's why she's as perfect as she is - sorry to boast - but she is.