coco

Infectious Bronchitis

I have been battling infectious bronchitis in my hens for the last two months, have lost three birds to it and have one currently very poorly [it can affect the kidneys and the bird dies from dehydration and kidney failure]. It came in with some new birds I bought, two of which died. I have had various hens on Baytril to combat secondary bacterial infection and they have responded well to it. It has left the hens that have had it a bit flat so what would be the best tonic to give to pep them up a bit, a couple of my smaller hens are still a bit rattly. I was thinking Lifeguard or Herban.

It has been a hard lesson learnt about being extra careful where I get my hens from although the person I got them from had a good setup.

Hi, after baytril you could help the hens gut flora by giving some natural bio yogurt! My pekins love it! I make them a porridge with their regular pellets and warm water, feed from a bowl and dot some blobs of yogurt on it.....it all disappears, but they do make a mess!! :lol:

Apple cider vinegar is also good for all round well being (has to be for poultry or horses, not the sort from the supermarket!) Just a dash on their drinker for 1 week out of 4. Their are lots of tonics. I've been giving mine the nettex tonic with seaweed in during and now after their 1st moult. Seems to have helped and they don't seem to mind it.

Hope you get your others over this. I nearly lost my 1st 3 girls to the vet thought myco, but they all recovered. Although one always seemed a little under par and sadly she died of a mystery illness in the summer :(

Something that I can really recommend are the nettex nutri-drops. They are great for making poorly hens feel better and help their appetite to come back.

Keep us posted. :D