WitchHazel

School talk-need different coloured eggs-anyone nr Windsor?

Hi All

I'm taking a couple of my Girls into my neice's Reception class next week (14th) to give a talk on keeping chooks. I'm planning ot take some eggs in as well, to show the range of egg colours that my flock produces.

Of course my Cream Legbar (bue egg) and Leghorn (White egg) aren't cooperating, and I'm concerned that I won't have an egg from them by the 14th.

So, I was wondering if anyone vaguely near me might have an egg I could have of one or more the following colours: blue egg, white egg, very dark brown egg like a Marans or Welsummer (bit of a cheat I know, as I no longer have a Welsummer in my flock).

If you have one of those colour eggs that you could let me have, please PM me. I can collect at any time to suit you.

Thanks for reading.

Hazel

Thanks Pipichick and Lewis.

I do have pics that I can use, but I don't think it's as effective as them being able to see and touch real eggs,

I didn't really want to tuy supermarket eggs because they would be stamped.

However, both are fallback positions, and thank you for taking the time to respond :D

It might be good in a way that you have to take bought ones. That way you can show that chickens don't tend to lay all year round, and could show them that good eggs, like good strawberries are seasonal :D Love the colours in the pic L! Would love chickens who laid the dark chocolate brown ones and the blue ones.

Thanks for your replies :D

Happy to provide a huge white egg, if Lily hen obliges ( which she should)

I am in Henley.

Thank you Sarah. Please let me know if Lily obliges in the next few days. If I can source both eggs from one place then that would be easiest, but if that's not possible I'm happy to go to two places.

I'm in Watford, which is about 40mins away from Windsor, so possibly a bit far away. We have a Welsummer and a Cream Legbar, but neither of them have started laying this year yet but I'm sure they will be very soon :D

Thank you Mercedes. Watford isn't too far, so if they lay in the next few days could you let me know please?

I'm still hoping that my own girls might oblige.... but it's not looking hopeful!

My girls are being unusually obliging so I have blue eggs - no brown as Henny is still holding out till we get warmer weather.

I am also in Henley.

Mary, that's fab. Maybe if Sarah's (Cinnamon's ) Lily obliges with a white egg, I can come and collect one from each of you??

I'll be in touch as soon as I hear from Sarah.

Thank you!

Hi All

It went well.

The children and their teacher were lovely, and they were really interested. I took my two youngest Ladies, who behaved beautifully. Poppy was panting a little bit, but that helped us explain that they were a little scared and nervous. They were fine being held (by me) and being stroked by the children. They both helpfully ate grapes when offered them.

Miraculously, neither chicken pooed on me, so I didn't need my bag of wet wipes, disinfectant, toilet roll, kitchen towel. Glad I took it though.

One of the lads has chickens at home, and he made me chuckle by telling me the chickens lived in a penthouse (didn't get to talk about housing, bet he has a Cube though!)

Their year has been incubating eggs, and their chicks hatched a week or two ago, so the timing of the visit was very good. It mayde me smile that the chidren knew about "Day 21" and "pipping". They had to have a stretching break after 15 mins, and the teacher got them to pretend to be chicks in an egg that were hatching (nothing to do with me, it's an exercise they've been doing since their chicks hatched). It did make me smile.

I was all prepared for awkward questions like "Do you eat chickens?" but nothing like that came up.

I'd definitely do it again.