daxigirl

Cube & Ducks?

How exciting daxigirl that you are getting ducks! Will they be full sized ones? I always think Pekins look so cuddly. As for ramps, I dont' have huge experience but in the short time I have had ducks I have certainly noticed that they don't seem to 'do' ramps. OH and I built all sorts of ramps of different kinds without much success. :roll: Now to help them get out of their bath we have a series of really low steps made out of tiles. I think it would take up quite a bit of room to do this to reach up to a cube on wheels so the non wheel option sounds the best. Also, of course, they wouldn't need perches.

How exciting, have you got a type of duck in mind?

Agree with others, mine have no clue with regards to ramps but are able to use bricks placed in the paddling pool to get out. Other than that they eat hens layers pellets although I did give them proper duck food when they were growing and they like greens, had pea shoots today which they really enjoyed. They also use the same grit as the chickens and I have auibose in their house.

Hi Sarah i agree with redwing nat they wouldnt beable to do a ramp up into the cube you would have to put the house on the floor and if you were going to keep them in the run all the time it would be a stinking mud pit this time of year my gardens about 100ft long by 50ft wide and half of that is like a swamp and it doesnt smell to fresh either with all this flipping rain and my ducks are deciding its a good idea to make a racket at 11.30 at night at the moment from inside their house :x probs my drake getting frisky so he will be threatened with a pie again this year :lol: oh and they have to be put to bed when you go away would someone beable to shut them in otherwise if they stay out all night and something spooks them they could wake the neighbours up i sound like an advert on dont get ducks sorry just thought you would like the facts leanne :)

I dont like the omlet roosting bars (and neither do our chickens) so I cover the base with bedding and then add 2 wooden "roosting bars". I usually find the ducks snuggled up in the bedding, along with the chickens who also dont like roosting. And occasionally (but not as infrequently as you might expect) I find them standing on the wooden bars! Crazy little girls.