Popularfurball

Coop with nesting box... Home made perch...why bother?!

Five times I have been out this evening and moved the girls to the perch and every time try have gone back to the nesting box.... So I blocked the nesting box off... So they have say next to the next box :roll::roll::D

I spent ages hunting for a fallen tree suitable to make it from too!

And I bought a new coop with WIR attached with nesting boxes because the

Old coop didn't have nesting boxes and my laying mrs skyline is choosing to lay them under the perch! Honestly eh! :D:D

Lesson learnt. Don't assume they want something bigger or better. They probably won't!!!

There are times when I think my clan are worse than my kids for not doing what they 'should' be

We are currently playing the chuck all the bedding out of the nest box :lol: they also have an old guinea pig house in the run that my two bantums shelter in from the rain, Trixie my speckly does too but she always sticks her bum out in the rain and only appears to keep her head dry :doh: Anyway thought id put some bedding in there too but no that was ripped out in seconds ! Silly girls

Obviously I am a bad chicken-mum, I have no idea whether mine sit on the bars or cosy up in the nest. The only clue is that *someone* [meaningful look at Tilly...] does big poops in the nest straw.

We shut the door of the eglu just after dark and they are let out around 8.00am as we were getting some very early singing of the jolly 'I've laid an egg' refrain and we wanted to keep the neighbours sweet.

They seem happy and healthy and have laid steadily, even through the darker winter times. And now I've written that they'll no doubt stop :roll:

Jenthelibrarian im keeping mine in untill 8:30 as Connie and Marilyn can be very vocal early in the morning usually fighting over the nest box but I must video the grand release in the morning its quite amusing to see 3 gilrs trying to squeeze out of the door at once and of course lots of trampling over who ever is in the way :-) My girls certainly dont have any ladylike manners :oops:

Charley1979 - pleased to see someone else keeps them in!

When we bought our girls we were told that they'd be absolutely fine shut in if we wanted peaceful mornings. I then kept reading posts on here from people who were getting up at dawn to let theirs out! [Mad fools :D ]

In the summer we were leaving their door open, but shutting them in and letting them out at 8.00am on Saturday and Sunday mornings so as to keep the peace on w/ends.

They do seem to have got quieter as they've got a little older, or maybe I'm noticing them less... :D

I agree that they do shoot out of the door very keenly when released :lol:

My Ex Batts Pudding and Pie my Black Rock Fliss and my Marran Tullah were very quiet if they ever got realised early they didnt make a sound but my new clan seem to be intent on getting me an ASBO I dont mind in the week as people are generally up and about for work but im always worried on the weekends never before been so relived to hear the church bells on a Sunday

When I first got my youngsters they didn't roost, but I did what you've done and blocked off the nest box and persevered popping them on to the roosting bars and they did get it!!! :D

It's good for a couple of reasons 1, it keeps the nest box clean and clear of poo (dirty eggs not good, possible contamination) 2, they don't stand/sleep in their poo and it keeps them away from it (ammonia fumes) also it is their natural sleeping/resting position. :D

Mimi5 how long did it take for your hens to understand they should roost on the perches and not in the nesting box? I have found my boss girl in the nest box, with the others close by, where as in the past they would huddle together in a line on the rear perches of the eglu.... So tonight I tried blocking the nest box, just wonder how long it will take to train them! :lol::roll:

Thanks

Dear Genbond......

Mimi5 how long did it take for your hens to understand they should roost on the perches and not in the nesting box?

....... :oops::oops: I can't actually remember as it was over 18 months ago now. They were youngsters, about 18 weeks,they did get the hang of it though :D I actuallyy still block off my nest box every night now though......experience has taught me that prevention of broodiness with pekins is better than cure!! :lol::roll::wink: