Luvachicken

Daisy dog on human medicine - updated

Daisy has had stiff back legs for a while and she was on some squirty medicine ( loxy something I think ) before Christmas but she hasn't had any for some time as her legs didn't seem too bad.

The vet did a blood test to determine if she could have the original medicine and the results came back to say she couldn't because her kidney levels were too high, so he has given her some Tramodol I think it is called.

She only started the medicine today so I hope it helps.

He also looked at her cancerous paw, which now has about 4 lumps on it and I thought if she lives for another couple of years it would be best got rid of sooner, but he said it wasn't in her best interest to do it :(

And that he could do lots of things to make her comfortable.

Poor Daisy, she is so old and sometimes very slow and she sleeps so much.

Edited by Guest

Poor Daisy! I hope the meds help her feel a bit better. They worked wonders for my ED and got her walking again. Not the same thing as Daisy but helped with the pain.

That's good to know, thank you.

I have told her my chicken friends are thinking of her but sadly she is as deaf as a post, but she can still wag her tail :D

I have told her my chicken friends are thinking of her but sadly she is as deaf as a post, but she can still wag her tail :D

That's reminds me of something I read the other day in Ideal Home mag. It was a dog kennel with a sign above saying "dogs laugh with their tails". I just loved that :)

I hope Daisy is feeling more comfortable on her new meds.

I've recently lost my beautiful friend after 14 1/2 years together and I will always miss her.

It is difficult when they get older and things start going wrong - you want to do everything you can to help them and make them well and young again, but sometimes it is better to take a step back and not interfere too much with the natural ageing process and all that comes with it.The treatment can sometimes, unexpectedly, end up being worse than the problem.

As long as she is still happy being with you, that is what is most important for both of you. It's difficult, but try not to worry too much about the things that are failing and going wrong and instead enjoy the time you have left together :D

I'm sorry you lost your lovely dog Chicken Deficient.

It must be hard.

Daisy doesn't seem any different to be honest. She still potters about and when we go for a walk she has that look of a child that says "can you carry me now ?". I think she likes the view she gets from being carried and we take the car now so she gets a ride home. We don't go far these days.

Hi luvachicken :D Hope she does well on tramadol. Our Sparky is the same age and has only recently slowed down. we too carry him back to the car at the end of a walk - he looks so happy being carried, almost regal. Tonight he was so tired he just had to have his tea on the settee :roll: Couldn't actually believe I did this but hey being ancient has to have some privileges :lol:

P020513_1936_zpsd594fa67.jpg

I phoned our vets to ask for a prescription for some more Tramadol for her.

I took her with me to pick the medicine up as I thought she would enjoy a car ride and a pretty stroll to the vets. ( Hartley Wintney is lovely )

While we were waiting I thought I'd pop her on the scales - she only weighs 9.4 kg now :( , even though nearly every time she looks at me she gets a treat.

Poor thing :(

Poor you....she'll be fine you are looking after her.

Don't let her run out of the Tramadol. It's habit forming and causes horrid withdrawal if stopped suddenly.

It's a good job you have put this as hubby wasn't sure the tablets were doing much so wasn't sure we should get more, but I will tell him what you have said.