Looney

Boys will be boys....

My two boys have decided to fall out. They have been winding each other up on and off for a while but only 'normal' teenage guinea pig type behaviour. A few flare ups but they settled down quickly afterwards so I didn't worry about it.

This has now escalated to full blown fighting, blood drawn and fur missing, so I have had to separate them. It is the smaller one being the aggressor but he doesn't stand a chance against the bigger one so he's coming off far worse.

The little one's wounds are healing ok, fingers crossed. What a palaver! :roll:

Looks like their Eglu will now have to go and I will be getting a double hutch so they can leave side by side but not together. No plans to try and reintroduce them, not for the time being anyway.

We had similar experiences in the past. It's surprising how viscous GP's can be when that happens. It's pretty much the point of no return when it gets to that stage. We had two males and two females a few years ago living as pairs: once we bred them, the males just fought when re-introduced (had to spray them with a hose to separate them :shock: ) and had to be kept singly from then on. Until recently, we had two males who were kept in separate indoor hitches. Tried to introduce them on neutral ground several times without success - not fighting, but some obvious hostility.

It's a shame but Scrabble just would not back down even though it was him getting hurt. Talk about 'little man syndrome'! :roll:

I'll just need to make sure they both get loads of cuddles. I had heard that sometimes single boars like to cuddle up to a soft toy, makes them feel like they've got a friend...not sure whether this is true or not? I might give it a try, though would have to be something machine washable!

Sorry to hear that. That was my experience when I had boys. They ended up living separately too. They were happier on their own by far and didn't seem lonely as lomg as they had human company.

The mother and daughter piggies I have like to boss each other around, but in a non violent manner thankfully!

Quick update.

I ordered a double hutch and it arrived really quickly. Was working from home today so set myself the challenge of building the hutch (from flat pack) in my lunch hour! All was going really well until I realised one of the side panels had a runner missing from the bottom meaning the bottom hutch's base has nothing to slide on/sit on one one side :roll:

Contacted the seller and they were very quick to respond and have dispatched a new bit immediately :D In the meantime I have propped the base up with bricks and polystyrene which will do the trick for now :lol: both boys are now in their new homes, snuggling into loads of hay.

Scrabble's wounds are now all scabbed over and drying up and healing nicely. Phew!

8)