Hayleybug

sorry, poo question!

apologies in advance! one of my chooks (not sure which one) poos i have just found appears to have what looks like fly eggs on it, but they are yellowy orangey colour. they are the size of a housefly egg but when i looked closely they were sort of wriggling :vom: and i couldnt tell if they were through the poo or just on the surface. anyone any ideas what they might be? they were wormed in feb, should i just worm them again to be on the safe side? and then presumably repeat the dose as recommended if you think they may have worms? was hoping someone may have seen these before and know what they are first though.

they were wormed with flubenvet, so shouldnt really be due until another month or so. ive not found any since it was nicer weather, and it was on poo that was on the lawn (non found in poo in eglu or run) so thinking they may be some fly-maggoty type thing rather than an internal issue.

on a side note one girlie is doing slightly foamy orange poos every now and then and she was the one who had worms in the first place so i think on the safe side as you say it wont do any harm to worm them again!

anyone know how long the expiry dates are on flubenvet powder? i used the pellets last time but ive only got 3 chooks so thinking of mixing my own...

The orange poos are caecal droppings which are normal. One in every 10 is from the caecum, like a clear out poo. If she is doing a lot more that than, then maybe something is wrong, but I wouldn't worry too much.

The eggs were probably laid after the droppings, so flies from outside hopefully?

Not sure about expiry dates, but as its a powder I would be inlined to use it.....

brilliant advice thanks very much, thanks Christian for putting my mind at rest i think thats what it must be and ta for checking the date good_egg! i'm off to order some now, much more economical than the pretreated pellets and no harm in doing their next dose soonish!