I was pressure washing the patio this morning with the girls free ranging in the garden. They set up alarm calling and a I saw movement behind their run which I thought was the cat. Nope, a sweet little fox cub. It wedged itself behind the feed bin, frozen in fear. Not sure if it was the constant chicken squawking or my presence.

I was stressing about getting the chickens back in the run. They were reluctant because the cub was just outside but bribery got four in. Gwen the Hen however was having none of it and led me a merry dance for half an hour. I wasn't particulary worried about the cub - don't think it had ever seen a chicken and it certainly wasn't showing any prey instinct. I was more worried mum would appear on the scene! Thankfully hubby got home and between us we caught errant Gwen.

I pulled the bin and bit of Omlet netting out of the way and he/she shot off - no doubt to return another day. I'll have to be extra vigilant as it grows!

IMG_2834_zps2eeeda80.jpg

Sue

Funnily enough, here in Doncaster- I have never seen a fox! We live in a little village, not far from a river and wildlife area and plenty of farmers fields. Yet I see them all the time at my MIL in central London! I should be grateful I suppose :doh:

I had just bought the new netting, a roof net , pegs and guy ropes to give my flock a new play park to go in when the better weather comes when lo and behold my husband spots a large fox up by the WIR. :(:(

So I can't risk letting them out so I am left with all the equipment recently purchased.. Isn't it just Sod's law. But I just can't risk it.....anyone else? :x:x:cry:

So cute as that wee cub is I would be so scared if they were ever introduced where I live. Am so sorry for all those that have to be so vigilant when FR constantly, not to mention the losses when thought to be fully fox proof. A lot of poultry has recently been decimated up here on west side of Isle due to an otter, and not the usual polecat or mink. I take the risk of leaving my pop holes open all year round and so far so good but...

Thinking about it now I'm not sure how he got through - I had doubled up Omlet netting (doubled up because it has been chewed beyond recognition by the fox!) across half the garden, continued by short wire netting to the other side so the chickens couldn't get down to the bottom of the garden. When he scampered off he followed the fence line to be blocked by the netting and then back again so we had to take a netting stake out to let him get through. He looked far too young to jump anything - maybe he was just teeny enough to get through the wire netting which does have biggish holes - just small enough not for a chook to get through. And he wasn't scared off by the sound of the pressure washer which had been going for an hour.

Brave (or stupid) little cub...but really cute! I was all prepared to ring our local wildlife place if he didn't shift.

Sue