counturchickens

Barbara is sitting!

Well Barbara is now sitting on her eggs, so I'm assuming 28 days to go! Assuming all goes well, once they've hatched will be be ok to move them to a separate house and run to keep the hens and drake away, so should I try and fashion barriers around her little house? She's currently in a duck house within the wir, but I have a spare house and run which I normally use for intros.

Also, is there anything I should be doing to help her while she's brooding? Food and water are nearby, but should I put some right outside the house?

Thanks

Hi if the hens cant get in with her I would leave her where she is for now its upto you on the drake if you only have the pair of ducks sometimes they will both bring the babies up you will just have to see what your drakes behaviour is when they start to hatch and I don't feed my broodys layers as their not laying I put them back on growers or crumb with a bit of corn mixed in other than just making sure she has food and water she will come and go as she likes normally only once a day goodluck leanne :)

Oh dear poor girl I always candle the eggs under my broodys so I know they are going to get something but you don't have to I would leave her for a while to get back in to condition she may not want to sit again this year but I wouldn't let her for at least a couple of months now I have chickens that can rear me 2 or 3 broods a year with no problems leanne :)