counturchickens

Goats, geese and fence advise please

We're lucky to have use of 1/3 of an acre at the back of our garden. We're getting a pair of pygmy goats, and have arranged for a local farmer to do perimeter fence. This will be 4ft high, with mesh to stop the little darlings getting out. The land is brambles and scrub, with about a 1/3 grass so we also thought about getting a couple of geese. Initally thought we might pen them an area with electric netting, but have read some horror stories about animals getting tangled up in it. Occasionally we will have to leave the geese overnight, so would a wir be ok for these times, and if so how big would it need to be. Any other advice or comments?

Get some electric pig wire & do about 3 rows of it. However, nothing truly keeps away Mr. Fox. I'd arrange for someone local to try & shut them in for you if you can - best bet all round! Hmmm goats, get the highest fencing you can afford as they can climb! Then I'd run an electric wire across the top of the goat fencing.

Redwing will tell you about goats! They are true escape artists!

Emma.x

Thanks. We're having lots of thoughts. I went to see the goats parents and the man there said 4ft would be plenty, and we've opted for kennel mesh, to keep them in. Re the geese, I have been thinking that we might get away with a wir, there are some large pen ones and I thought we could move them around. Have been doing lots of research online, and all the goose stuff says secure them at night, but surely there at risk during the day too? Also, any supplementary food I would give to the geese (wheat or pellets) is bad for goats. I would be interested I what others do.