redsunset

Will they go to bed in bad weather??

I've had hens who chose to roost outside the Eglu and they didn't seem bothered by cold weather. However they were roosting inside a secure fox proof run. I'm guessing that if that's your patio table, it's not inside a run - they are at severe risk of predators at night and I'd put them inside the coop and close the door.

Hi, I guess being on an Island I am lucky, as we have no foxes up here at all. I do have a river half a mile away at bottom of croft but polecats/mink have been near eradicated so my biggest worry is that they get cold/weather? I am hoping as soon as weather gets bad they will think to put themselves to bed for protection as I do have two houses so plenty room? Meantime, if they want to be jungle fowl it's ok to let them?

Well decided to lift them into henhouses under much protest, and put the outdoor bird in to one and closed the door for the night! The other went willingly in to another. Tomorrow night will no doubt be a different story?.....Joys of almost daylight all day/night up here due to summer!

Ah, thank you! I did wonder if they were just doing as nature intended. I know foxes are such a worry for most of you so I am lucky that they don't exist up here. Will open door before I go to bed as no doubt 'Mrs Jungle fowl' will not be pleased at being penned in!".....Ok as I am such a late bedder!!..