Luvachicken

Pink sheep in New Zealand ?

Some of you may remember that my son has gone to Australia for a year.

Right now he has gone on a 3 week holiday to New Zealand as it is only 3hrs away.

He said he saw lots of sheep and that he saw sheep that were pink all over.

Anyone know why they have pink sheep ?

Apparently the farmers vary the colours each year...last year it was blue and, I believe I am right in saying, next year is yellow. It is usually decided about 18 months in advance by a sub committee of the New Zealand parliament agriculture dept.

I am told that, some years ago when the scheme started, they tried spots but this proved too time consuming so now they just dip all the sheep the same colour. Farmers get a grant for the cost but they can also mix in the usual 'chemicals' that they would normally dip sheep into thus killing two birds with one stone.

If you look REALLY hard at some scenes of 'Lord of the Rings' you can just spot a very few red sheep in the background of several shots. By the time they made 'The Hobbit' they were orange and, yes, you guessed it, there is one scene with quite a few orange sheep - apparently it was too late to edit them out by the time they were spotted...clearly some people never learn!