The Dogmother

New babies! Updated... fawn photos

These are simply gorgeous pics, what a stunning workplace and the sitka fawn is sooooooo pretty. I missed the story, sorry, is she orphaned :?: Axx

She's sort of orphaned... she was found trapped in the deer fence (8ft high metal fencing) but when she was freed her mother didn't want to have anything to do with her :( The gamekeeper hung back and watched them but none of the mothers would take her on and her own mum wouldn't have her. She is currently living in the gamekeeper's kitchen and being fed 4 times a day. She follows him around like a lamb, but is very timid.

And it gets better.. came in this morning to find that we also have two ram lambs (born on saturday) who's mother won't have them - they tried all the usual trick and even tied her up to get them on the teats, but she just kicks the poor wee things :( they are being bottle fed at the moment and are in a straw-filled stable with a heat lamp. Lesley is kindly having them and I'll take them over after work tomorrow.

They've been suckling on my thumbs!

One of the twins was much smaller and whilst we though he was picking up after being fed through the night, he took a turn for the worst late this afternoon and had to be despatched, so we only took one wee lamb (named Paddy by Rosie) to Lesley's, very sad, and I felt bad as they were prepared for two :( If we have any more lambs that need hand-rearing then they will have them to keep Paddy company.

They'd tried all the usual tricks of tying the mum up and putting the lambs on her teats, they even hobbled her when she kicked them, just to give them a chance to get latched on, but she wasn't having any of it. The other ewes who have given birth so far have all had twins too, so no chance of sneaking them in on one of those. We've not had this happen before, so it's a real shame.

Will get the Eglu jet-washed and ready for the ducklings to use next week, they will have a small tray to paddle in.