The Dogmother

New babies! Updated... fawn photos

... we have an orphaned fawn at work :(

Well, not strictly 'orphaned'; it got itself stuck in the deer fencing, luckily the gamekeeper found it before the foxes did. He freed it and waited for mum to claim it, but none of the does showed any interest. After a while it was clear that none of them wanted it, so the wee s"Ooops, word censored!" is in one of the stables and is being hand-reared.

As soon as it's getting onto the bottle and less scared, I will be allowed in to see and feed it, so photos will follow. 8)

I also have 8 duck eggs in an incubator beside my desk (it's like a maternity unit here!) they are due to hatch in the next couple of days, but we're not sure if they are viable or not. The gamekeeper candled them late and thought he saw an embryo inside, so perhaps we'll get some ducklings.

Will update when I have more news.

Edited by Guest

Lesley said to me 'how could none of them want it?'

Deer are like ducks; fickle mothers :roll:

I am hoping to be 'Duckmother' soon if the eggs are viable :D

Was talking to the stockman today and he was moaning about his chooks having diarrhoeia, so I gave him a free course and suggested moving their pen along the paddock, sprinkling santising powder and worming them, although he's pretty regular with the latter. The unwanted cockerel we had in our neighbourhood at home was re-homed here and the wee fella has a harem of big wives... we call him Rod, after Rod Stewart who also likes big birds :lol:

Edited by Guest

Well, the duck eggs we thought might be duds appear to be pipping.. I heard some cheeping beside me earlier and two of the eggs are clearly pipping, two further eggs are tapping back when I hold them to my ear and tap with my finger nail (I do this when we have a broody on eggs at home). I hope to have at least two fluffy wee ducklings tomorrow - what a shame I have lots of work to do :?

I was going to be foster mum to the fawn tomorrow as the gamekeeper had to go out for the day, I had the timer all set to remind me of the four-hourly feeds and now his trip has been cancelled :( I'll have to see if I can feed it at least once tomorrow and get some photos to post.

I have one Khaki Campbell duckling this morning, another one on the way out and 3 more eggs tapping back at me.

9e0263da-1f41-48bd-9d60-f0a851baa329_zps004d29af.jpg

I'll have the brooder in here until they make too much noise/mess, then they'll go out in a bigger brooder. I may just take some duck eggs home to put under my broody next week.

Fawn still going well, photos later.

I walked with some friends last night and finished up in a pub in the next village. In the pub garden was a run with baby ducklings - Mum had been run over on the road in the village yesterday so the babies had been orphaned :( Poor little things looked very confused without Mum.

The pub does tend to operate as a bit of a duck sanctuary - last year they had a few pens with orphaned ducklings in. The keep them penned with food and water until they're old enough to go onto the stream that runs through the pub garden, then keep an eye on them and feed them until they head off to the big wide world by themselves.

They also put big notices outside the pub asking people not to speed through to village and squash the ducks, but every year there are casualties :(

The wee monsters hatched in my office are doing well, we gave the yellow one 24 hours and he rallied when I really thought he wouldn't. His legs are a bit splayed but I'll hobble him with some Micropore today to see if I can coax them back into line. They're out in the brooder now, and we'll discard the other eggs that weren't valid.

I shall miss the noisy little monkeys!

IMAG1187_zps10f0e7a4.jpg

Fawn is still very shy, so not allowed visitors (they can take fright and die easily) I will take photos as soon as I can.

At last I've managed to get photos of the fawn; she is a Sika female, so very dainty and quite valuable to the herd as a breeding doe when she grows up.

She is still living in the gamekeeper's kitchen, but went into the workshop for her feed and then a quick run around on the lawn outside my office.

IMAG1203_zps5c7fd78e.jpg

IMAG1205_zps7e188e2d.jpg

IMAG1204_zps10f3f480.jpg

These last two were taken out of the Landy window (so not very clear as I was driving) yesterday as I drove down the drive; the deer are gathering under the trees for shade, or swimming in the lakes.

IMAG1195_zps70659e47.jpg

IMAG1196_zpscacf4349.jpg

:lol: not at the moment... and it's very cold in the winter :roll:

The ducklings are coming home with me for a week in August when I am on leave (at home) as the gamekeeper is also off that week and no-one else will look after them. I'll rig them up a home in the spare eglu so they can have some grass and water to paddle in. Rosie will be delighted when I tell her!