oneyolktoanother

Chicken in Shock Advice please

I usually leave the coop doors open in the summer as the run is fox proof, this morning we heard a right racket there was a fox running around the run. I ran out the 4 hens seemed fine but our other hen Ginger was breathing heavy and in shock ( we had her before xmas off a work colleague as her other hens were killed by a fox and ginger saw everything and managed to get out of reach) So we bought her in, in a box and gave her some water with sugar in it.

She is still breathing bad poor thing I have gave her some strawberry and grape cut up which she quickly ate and also some mashed up pellets she has had a bit of. My oh said to leave her to calm down herself and check on her about every hour but I am worried as its so warm she has air vents in the box any advice please

Sorry to hear this. Are you quite sure that she hasn't sustained an injury? It can be hard to tell underneath feathers, I would check her over very carefully to make sure there are no bites or puncture wounds.

Hens find it difficult to cool down so I would probably take her out of the box, even though it has air vents it could get quite hot in there - if she is feeling a bit sorry for herself and not moving around much, could you just sit her on some newspaper in the kitchen for a bit? The fact that she is eating and drinking sounds positive. If she's active and looking more like herself, then I'd pop her back with the others but (obviously) you really need to find out how the fox got into the run, and take steps to ensure that it can't get back.

Sorry to hear this. Are you quite sure that she hasn't sustained an injury? It can be hard to tell underneath feathers, I would check her over very carefully to make sure there are no bites or puncture wounds.

Hens find it difficult to cool down so I would probably take her out of the box, even though it has air vents it could get quite hot in there - if she is feeling a bit sorry for herself and not moving around much, could you just sit her on some newspaper in the kitchen for a bit? The fact that she is eating and drinking sounds positive. If she's active and looking more like herself, then I'd pop her back with the others but (obviously) you really need to find out how the fox got into the run, and take steps to ensure that it can't get back.

Thanks, sorry I meant to say running around the outside of the run :oops: have checked get can't see no wounds, as we have a double coop which one part is meshed due to pecking I have put in there but the shut the one door and opened the air vents and she can see 2 of the hens she's still breathing quite heavy though

I think it sounds like you did the right thing - but would also echo the idea that you could perhaps put her where she can clearly see you (assuming she sees you as a reassuring presence - am not sure all mine see me like that!)

Hens are a bit strange when they get a shock - sometimes 'jollying them out of it' with treats, diversions etc seems to help (that's what my vet reckons anyway)

Would also suggest some ice in the water to help her keep cool

If she is definitely not hurt (and it sounds like the fox couldn't get her) then I would take her back into the dark and make sure she is comfy and has some water. Perhaps keep adding some sugar to the water or provide sugar and none (perhaps with ice if she is hot). If you have nutri drops you could add these to a treat (or if easy to give her, but wouldn't stress her out anymore)... Basically comfy dark and just keep checking on her and encouraging her to drink and eat, dont over cool her. Good luck and keep us posted!

From http://www.littlehenrescue.co.uk/Pages/Medicaladvice.aspx

Shock from trauma or stress

Symptoms

gasping for breath

eyes closed

shudders

collapsed

cold

Shock like in humans can be caused by many things, as is a real killer. Dog attacks, fox attacks, fear, and fright can bring on shock.

Treatment

keep hen warm by radiator, heat lamp, hot water bottle or airing cupboard

syringe a strong sugar or glucose solution slowly into beak, this will bring up sugar levels (scroll down for how to make sugar solutions)

keep hen quiet and in dark box or covered with towel

If they survive the night then the shock has passed. Then check hen for injuries, as some can be hidden under feathers, and monitor hen and her movements for the next 48 hours if shock was from trauma or attack.

Sugar solution

Please dissolve 2 large spoons of sugar into roughly 100mls of boiling water, leave it cool and syringe around 10mls slowly bit by bit into hens mouth remembering to allow hen to swallow after each drop.

From http://www.littlehenrescue.co.uk/Pages/Medicaladvice.aspx

Shock from trauma or stress

Symptoms

gasping for breath

eyes closed

shudders

collapsed

cold

Shock like in humans can be caused by many things, as is a real killer. Dog attacks, fox attacks, fear, and fright can bring on shock.

Treatment

keep hen warm by radiator, heat lamp, hot water bottle or airing cupboard

syringe a strong sugar or glucose solution slowly into beak, this will bring up sugar levels (scroll down for how to make sugar solutions)

keep hen quiet and in dark box or covered with towel

If they survive the night then the shock has passed. Then check hen for injuries, as some can be hidden under feathers, and monitor hen and her movements for the next 48 hours if shock was from trauma or attack.

Sugar solution

Please dissolve 2 large spoons of sugar into roughly 100mls of boiling water, leave it cool and syringe around 10mls slowly bit by bit into hens mouth remembering to allow hen to swallow after each drop.

Thankyou good egg, spoke to the woman who had her when her hen friends was killed she lasted it lasted 24 hourse so fingers crossed