smartrus Posted August 3, 2013 Share Posted August 3, 2013 (edited) Hi there. Its been a while since I popped on the forum for a chat. I have just taken in 3 chickens who needed a home. They are 2 bantams with what can only be described as poofy hair! And a large black hen. I have put them in a separate run from my 10 others as I fear they will have them for breakfast!! This is not a problem as I have room. The trouble is that I have noticed that the 2 bantams have what seems like an extra toe on one foot and all 3 chickens have very rough spiky scales on their legs. Is this something they have wrong or something they had previously which has left them with this? What do I do and does it get better? As you can tell, im a real expert (not)!! Any advice welcome! Edited August 4, 2013 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gavclojak Posted August 3, 2013 Share Posted August 3, 2013 I am so not an expert but could it be scaley leg mites? Scaly Leg Mite is caused by a burrowing mite which causes scaly, raised encrusted scales on the legs of chickens and other poultry. Scaly leg can cause intense irritation to the bird by burrowing under the scales, causing them to become raised and thicken. They are fairly common in chickens. The scales often look like they are protruding outwards and parts of the scales will come off, making the legs look unsightly. Scales should never be picked or cut off as this will damage the legs. Birds need to be treated to kill the mites and then scales left to come away naturally through a moult. It can take up to 12 months before the scales have moulted and regrown to look normal again. I hope this helps Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
smartrus Posted August 3, 2013 Author Share Posted August 3, 2013 Ooh thanks. Where can I get a treatment and how do you know if its gone? Im glad I decided to keep them separate from the others. What you describe is exactly what they look like. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Hayleybug Posted August 3, 2013 Share Posted August 3, 2013 I read on here that coating the legs in vaseline kills off the mites as they suffocate, and the scales will just renew after a time tho they may never go back to completely normal... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
smartrus Posted August 3, 2013 Author Share Posted August 3, 2013 That sounds like a quick easy thing to do so will give that a try thanks. Apparently they arent laying much which may have something to do with it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted August 3, 2013 Share Posted August 3, 2013 I would worm them with Flubenvet too. Do you know how old they are? Could you post a photo? Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gavclojak Posted August 3, 2013 Share Posted August 3, 2013 Soften the scales by using Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly) rubbed into the legs or wash with baby shampoo and scrub legs with a small brush like a toothbrush. To kill the mites, dip legs into surgical spirit once per week for 3 to 4 weeks. Vaseline rubbed in between treatments also helps to suffocate the mite. Ivermectin drops (dropped on the skin behind the neck and on the body) kills mites as well as most common worms and some vets will prescribe this to kill the scaly leg mites but always seek the advice of your vet as Ivemectin is not licensed for use on chickens. Surgical spirit may sting, causing distress so you may consider Ivermectin to be kinder). I have a poultry vet who gave me a large bottle for about £10.00 Do not pull off crusts. Scales on the legs can take up to a year to regrow and look normal again. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
smartrus Posted August 3, 2013 Author Share Posted August 3, 2013 Thanks. I will try to post a photo, I think they are at least a couple of years old. Im not sure how long bantums live for. I will get vaseline and some flubervent. I have to say though I have never given my own chickens this. Am I supposed to? I have never had any health issues with my own. I will also try to get some drops as suggested although I dont know of any farm vets to bet it from. Maybe our garden centre will have some as they stock chickens. Thanks so much for your help. I am determined that I get them looking more healthy. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
smartrus Posted August 3, 2013 Author Share Posted August 3, 2013 Help. Call me stupid but how do you add a photo?. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
keyhole kate Posted August 3, 2013 Share Posted August 3, 2013 I had great success treating scaley leg with soaking there legs in soapy water and cleaning with a soft toothbrush and thickly applying sudocream with a little soft brush I had previously tried surgical spirit and Vaseline and a proprietry well known scaley leg spray treatment. This was the only one that worked for me. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted August 4, 2013 Share Posted August 4, 2013 Help. Call me stupid but how do you add a photo?. Instructions ~here~ from the Frequetly Asked Questions section. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
smartrus Posted August 4, 2013 Author Share Posted August 4, 2013 Thanks guys. I will set my daughter's on the case. We have plenty of sunscreen left from those nappy days! They need no excuse yo bath chickens! I will update with progress. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
daxigirl Posted August 4, 2013 Share Posted August 4, 2013 The extra toe on the poofy haired ones may be where they're a silkie cross. Ivermectin works well and would get rid of any other little friends they may have (worms & lice/mites) as well. Approx £8-9 from medic animal, 4 drops under a wing on bare skin. Good luck with the washing. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
smartrus Posted August 4, 2013 Author Share Posted August 4, 2013 Thanks. I am about to embark on leg washing! I wonder who will get the wettest! As for the extra toe, its freaky but as long as its nothing to worry about, thanks x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
smartrus Posted August 4, 2013 Author Share Posted August 4, 2013 Well that was a very messy affair! All 3 chickens were most unimpressed! We bathed their legs in baby shampoo and then smothered them in suspected whilst waiting to get some propped stuff. I have to say I found it all quite revolting as the scales were like tree bark. They also have long nails which curl round. Can you cut these? Mind you how I will ever get them to stay still long enough is going to be a challenge!! They spend the rest of the day eating the sudocrem off their own and each other's legs!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
daxigirl Posted August 5, 2013 Share Posted August 5, 2013 Yes you can cut their claws, watch out for the quick though they bleed like b***ery if you catch them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
keyhole kate Posted August 5, 2013 Share Posted August 5, 2013 Yes you can cut their claws, watch out for the quick though they bleed like b***ery if you catch them. I'll second that especially black nails tbh its a two person job my daughter does the clipping with Dog nail clippers while I hold them if you do accidentally catch the quick dip the bleeding nail in some cornflour again its worked for me Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
smartrus Posted August 6, 2013 Author Share Posted August 6, 2013 ooh sounds a bit scary, may take them to the pet shop!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...