Luvachicken

Help needed for a SEN interview please.

This will be the second job that I will have applied for that I don't actually have the qualifications for :(

I managed to get an interview for the first job but it was given to 2 others because they have SENCO skills which I don't have. I have Child Protection qualifications instead.

If I'm lucky enough to get an interview for the job I just applied for, how can I make sure they notice me ?

Over the years I have had experience with children with different needs, but none of them were my key children.

At the interview they asked me how I would deal with bad behaviour and I think I got the answer wrong - I said by not giving a sticker.

Do any of you have any SENCO tips you could share with me please ?

Or in fact any good tips at all ?

I get so nervous about these things - and I haven't even got the interview yet.

Do you have time to volunteer in a similar situation? Often becoming a volunteer is a way into a new career. So don't be down hearted if you don't succeed again. I suspect you'll be up against stiff competition because such jobs are sought after. Also, you could enquire at your local college to see if they run courses which may help. If you really want to do this, persevere

Thanks Patricia.

I have just completed my forms and will hand them in tomorrow.

In between jobs a while ago, I did volunteer at a school, but because my YS just got back from a year in Australia last week and is off to uni on Saturday, things have been a bit hectic so I haven't asked if I could go back.

If I don't get the job then volunteering is what I will do.

Hi luvachicken, I have done this kind of work for a number of years. I decided it would be worthwhile doing a relevant qualification in Childcare and Education and it got me onto the local authority supply list and have never been out of work. Pay is insulting bit thats anoher story. A friend is currently doing something similar thro the OU. Good luck :) keep us posted Axx

Hi luvachicken, I have done this kind of work for a number of years. I decided it would be worthwhile doing a relevant qualification in Childcare and Education and it got me onto the local authority supply list and have never been out of work. Pay is insulting bit thats anoher story. A friend is currently doing something similar thro the OU. Good luck :) keep us posted Axx

I already have a preschool diploma NVQ3 :D I've worked in preschools for the last 14 years :shock:

It is the SENCO stuff I don't have and these seem to be the jobs out there - none for Child Protection :( , but I will let you know how I get on as soon as I hear anything.

So it's not really the case you aren't qualified? I think you just need to think about how to transfer the experience and skills that you have to the new situation. It may that your negativity about yourself is coming through at interview. Be confident, talk about what you can do, and then explain how this translates to the new situation. Kids with SEN are kids first and foremost. Good luck! Be positive.

Re behaviour - the school should have a behaviour policy on its website. If you get asked this again model your answer on the school's policy. Basically every member of staff needs to be singing from the same song sheet and follow the policy.

You may well be asked a question on confidentiality and also child protection.

Re SEN take a look at the school's SEN policy and the tes website. You should find plenty of info on there.

Be prepared, the interview may involve working with a group of children (one of whom may be SEN) for 10 mins or so. The school will want to see how you interact with the children and what ideas you have for helping the SEN child etc.

Re behaviour - the school should have a behaviour policy on its website. If you get asked this again model your answer on the school's policy. Basically every member of staff needs to be singing from the same song sheet and follow the policy.

You may well be asked a question on confidentiality and also child protection.

Re SEN take a look at the school's SEN policy and the tes website. You should find plenty of info on there.

Be prepared, the interview may involve working with a group of children (one of whom may be SEN) for 10 mins or so. The school will want to see how you interact with the children and what ideas you have for helping the SEN child etc.

I will look into their policy pages.

For one of my previous jobs I had to spend an hour in the class and outside and I got the job.

As Patricia says confidence is what I need to look at, and I'm not the worlds most confident person.

I'll let you know if I get the interview :pray: