bluekarin

Can body reject metal plates after 8 years?

Sounds a bit of an odd one, sorry. I am only asking as my left leg, which I broke about 8 years ago, has started to feel very painful and bruised right over the metal plate and pins. I thought I'd worn my boots a bit too tightly laced up yesterday as it was very sore last night. But I know today I didn't and it feels worse. I can't see a bruise, but it hurts to touch. I've done a quick Google but can't seem to find anything, so thought I'd ask the Omlet Font of Knowledge :D

Have you bumped or banged it recently (obvious question but that could, as I understand it, 'loosen' or somehow make plate or pins move slightly which could cause some pain.) Apparently its highly unlikely for you to 'reject' it after so long but its slightly possible it could be a latent infection.

This is all info from OH who, tho he has no formal medical training, has worked with implants (hips, knees, shoulders etc) for over 25 years, spent more hours than you could shake a stick at in theatre and now spends quite a lot of time training reps and surgeons. He says that because of the very slight possibility of an infection perhaps you could make a GP appt and maybe request an x ray to make sure its all still where it should be? Don't mean to alarm you but its def worth getting checked out! Hope all goes well!

Thank you! I barely slept last night as every time I laid on that side my leg hurt. I have wondered if there may be an infection, but thought it a bit unlikely after so many years. I did have an infection on the other bone after having the plates first put in, so it was removed. It doesn't appear hot and there is no redness on the skin around the area, but it is sore and feels bruised. No bruise though. I can't remember banging it as when I have done so in the past it has hurt A LOT due to not a lot of muscle or fat on that area. The one area on me there isn't :roll::lol: I will see how it is on Monday and if it is still sore I will try and speak to the duty dr and see what they suggest. Thank you to your OH for his help. It is much appreciated :D

It's not so much as a rejection of the plate. They can become painful or it could be that it has moved or the the screw'pin has started to work it's way out... can you feel anything there, or any changes in that area? it's certainly not unusual...

I'd say go to your GP, he may the refer you back to an ortho consultant who will whip it out for you! it could be that you don't need it anymore as the bone should have sorted it's self by now and it can be removed without replacing it. All as a daystay but with an anaesthetic...

Hope that helps

K

At the time it was really hurting, there was a swollen lump which really hurt to touch or even have rested on the sofa. But today, it isn't hurting! Bizarre. So I have no idea what happened to make it suddenly hurt so much. I would say it was my ankle boots, but I have been wearing them for a while before it hurt, so it can't be them. I will be wearing them for most of today, so shall see what it is like tonight. I don't think there is an infection as I don't have a temp, or don't feel as if I have one, and the area isn't hot.