newcountrygirl

introducing an older dog to two puppies

Looking for some advice please. My daughter has just been to choose two puppies - Golden Doodles (retriever/poodle apparently).

When we go over to Yorkshire, which we do quite regularly we stay at our daughters and Ziggy our 4 year old Border Terrier goes with us. Ziggy used to be fine with other dogs when she was a pup until a large dog attacked her and bit her. Ever since then she doesnt like other dogs and growls and lunges at them.

We live in the country and where we used to live there werent any other dogs. We took her to training and she was doing really well but then we moved. For the first 9 months we didnt really see other dogs but now when we go for a walk we pass gardens with other dogs in. She always want to go and investigate and is fine until the other dogs bark - then she gets all defensive.I have tried walking her with my friend and her dog who is really old - but she initially keeps trying to sneak up on him and nip him from behind. Gradually, as we keep walking she calms down though.

I realise this is fear agression and wonder what the best way to introduce her to the pups is. By the time they arrive at my daughters they will be 8 weeks old and I would imagine they would be nearly as big as Ziggy. In my dog training book it says that dogs usually recognise the fact that they are puppies but I so want her to get on with them so that they can all be happy together. Help please.

I would desensitise your dog at a distance with some very high value treats; use a head collar such as a Halti or GenCon on your dog so that you have more control and reward only on good behaviour so that she associates the treats with the proximity of the puppies and her good behaviour.

Puppies will naturally want to leap all over her and play, but she is going to be wary so I'd suggest keeping them in a puppy pen when they first meet so she knows they won't do her any harm.

May I suggest that you get your daughter Gwen Bailey's Perfect Puppy book as it really is good. Not sure that I'd have two puppies together, especially if they are siblings; they tend to bond with each other rather than their human :? so take care to train and exercise them separately.

Yes she must be introduced to them In their pen at first. She probably won't be very tolerant at first, but getting to know their scent is very important. I get lots of puppy's here and sometimes my older dogs can seem quite aggressive, but they never do any physical harm. Don't ever feed them together, including treats. Give your dog treats not the pups. It's all got to be calm and slow, until the pups come out of course and cause mayhem :D . Hopefully she'll be a bit forgiving by then :D