starboyhull

Egg eating - hemcore to blame?

Hi guys.....Sorry for the odd subject......

We recently changed from straw in the nest box to hemcore and we have noticed that one of the girls has only laid 1 egg in the past 4 days, today I noticed that she had laid what looked like a perfect egg with a shell but was half eaten in the run, do you think its possible she doesnt like laying on the hemcore?????

Previous to this she had laid for 25+ days, they other 2 dont seem hased by it, just wondred what your thoughts are on it......

It sounds unlikely Karl, but maybe try swapping back to straw for a few days, see if that changes anything. It's probably that she's just going through a bit of a rest phase and that has coincided with the change. They seem to lay soft or thin shelled eggs in the run or on the bars - somehow they know it's different. If it was thin shelled it maybe broke on impact. :?

Two perfect eggs today, still waiting for Betty to lay, but Hilda was fine this morning, I think I will slowly add more and more hemcore each week until she gets used to it, maybe the citronella in it or something irritates her.....

A chicken with sensitive skin, whatever next :):lol: