Dolly

Is it time to say goodbye?

My 2.5 year old hybrid Tilly has had a run of bad luck over the last couple of months. First she had coccidiosis (diagnosed by the vet) and was treated with Baycox, 2 weeks later she was on the mend but then started a heavy moult which knocked her back and her comb shrunk right down (and still is now). Two weeks after that I saw she had worms in her droppings which I treated with Flubenvet. However, she still has bouts of looking poorly and sits head hunched and quiet, but then is back bossing the others around half an hour later. When she's like this I think it's time to say goodbye as I can't bear to see her suffering but then when's she's ok I wonder if Im making a fuss about nothing and she just needs time to recover from all of this.

I should mention she hasnt laid for months and is still thin from her illness, at 1.3 kg, but is eating and drinking and has been on a course of antibiotics prescribed a week ago when I took her for a follow up appointment, however this didn't improve things much.

I would really appreciate any thoughts as I know a lot of you have been through similar situations

Thanks

We had to make the same decision today with Scramble, also a 2 1/2 year old hybrid. She'd not had as many problems by the sound of it, but the description sounds similar. Didn't want her to linger any more so made the trip to the vet, still wondering if we were doing he right thing. Vet agreed without hesitation, which helped.

Sometimes when they have had a bad dose of coccidia their gut remains damaged so they struggle to recover and are vulnerable to other things.

If she was mine I would check with vet whether she is free of whatever she had antibiotics for and if necessary extend the course. When antibiotics finished give her a couple of weeks with 'lifeguard' in their water and if she's still not back to normal and putting on weight make a decision.

It's hard decision but you are right not wanting her to suffer and we owe them that dignity. Princess Leia it feels horrid but you did well for her.

Thanks so much for your replies and Im sorry to hear about your girl Princess Leia.

Well Tilly is still here after her trip to the vets this morning. He prescribed a course of different antibiotics but said it was likely to be a heart or 'organ' related issue due to her comb getting blue. He said she wasn't in pain but I should make sure her bouts of looking poorly don't increase which could mean its time to review things again. So it's lots more TLC for little Tilly, I'm just happy she's not suffering and there's still hope for her. Our vet is brilliant and an avian expert so I'm satisfied she's ok for the moment.