keyhole kate

Had a bit of a scary drama today

I am a new beekeeper and arranged to meet my mentor Ray at the apiary today we were going through some frames when all of a sudden he said he had been Stung in the throat a bee had somehow got inside his suit he very quickly came faint and said he felt ill shock: I had to call 999 and they sent a fast response paramedic who thankfully did turn up fast he put him on a drip and asked for an ambulance crew to transport him to A&E I hope he's going to be okay it was a bit of a shocker.

Sorry, pressed enter by mistake.

How scary Kate

I had a bee on the inside of my veil once, and I found it very difficult not to panic. Not just because of the potential bee sting (which if course hurts), but because one sting would then attract others bees, and that isnt pleasant. We found that the headgear we were using had a very tiny gap and bees could get in.

After that, we switched to the newer fencing-mask style hoods. Much better.

Well done you for staying calm. I'm sure he will be fine - if he was going to have a serious reaction, it would have happened. It was probably just the shock of having one inside.

Yikes, I hope he's ok. Stings on the face can cause a more severe reaction than stings elsewhere. As he's an experienced beekeeper and has probably been stung many times before, I hope it was just that and nothing worse. Let us know how he is.

That's very good advice, OSH.

I hope he's okay I still haven't managed to get hold of him his mob went straight to voicemail :?

OSH brilliant advice on the grid reference I'm going to do that I always have my mob with me he said he's been stung lots of times before but never had a reaction before I had some anti histamine tablets in my bee box but didn't know if I should give him some or not ? The paramedic did say it wouldn't have done any harm. I was reluctant as I didn't know his med history

I'm hoping he realises that he can't go up there alone in future as I know he usually does, it's quite remote and today's the first time I have seen the farm owners. I have never seen a soul before :roll:

I have learned from it though I am going to get a print off of all my meds and keep them in my box and make sure my phone is in my bee suit pocket where I can access it quickly.

Thankfully Ray called me today, he apparently got a lot worse and the hospital said if he had waited another ten minutes things could have been very different :shock: He isn't sure whether he is going to carry on beekeeping he told me he couldn't face how ill he was yesterday again :( he is going to look at his options such as a de sensitising course but for the time being someone else is going to look after his hives. And the association will find me a new mentor I am okay for now my hive is in good shape with plenty if room. The main thing is Ray is okay what a relief 8)

Oh no that's awful. I'm glad we've got those all over zips everywhere suits. However YS Has been chased by the bees when he opened them at a silly time of day. They were clinging to his suit like they wanted to kill him. Must admit I did have a little chuckle, ok a big one :D

Gosh I can't believe I haven't posted since April so much has happened :roll: the colony I was going to buy became increasingly aggressive to the point of pinging of you the minute you arrived before even opening them I felt bad but felt I had no choice but to contact the association and let them know the situation.

The owner was asked to remove them & the association weren't very happy with them trying to sell an aggressive colony to a beginner.

I have since bought a Nuc of lovely calm bees that are a joy they have filled my national deep brood frames and are on the 10th frame of the supers I am still without a mentor but as the Nuc has grown I have learned alongside them with the help of books and the bbka forum and I have grown in confidence as the summer has gone on. I am so glad I stuck with it I was tempted to give up when I was being attacked and chased by the vicious bees.