Grandmashazzie

Booster Jabs as suggested by Mercedes 55

Sorry Mercedes you mentioned that in your post on feeding raw and I wondered what the general opinion is.I have 2 labs who are 10 and have had yearly jabs as recommended by vet also as they went to kennels but if my memory serves me right when I was small dogs only got vaccinated twice when puppies.Is this vaccination programme really needed every year? What do others think.?

There's a big debate about this, and if you do a Google search you'll find a lot of comment. Most vets will tell you that the animals need vaccinating every year - they are told this by the pharmaceutical companies who produce the vaccination, and both they and the vets make money out of annual vaccinations so it's in their interest to do this.

There's a school of thought that says that the effect of the vaccinations is cumulative and almost certainly lasts longer than a year, and once an animal has reached a certain age it's probably immune anyway.

I get my cats vaccinated annually because it's also a useful point to have an 'MoT' check. My friend has four cats and says she simply can't afford the cost so she doesn't have hers vaccinated - they are fit and healthy. I don't know what the answer is - I'm not willing to take the risk of not vaccinating but I strongly suspect that annual vaccinations aren't necessary.

I'm on the fence with this one. I absolutely do believe that animals need to be vaccinated. I would hate to see an increase in diseases simply because everyone got spooked and stopped vaccinating their pets. However not all vaccines need to be given each year and I make it my responsibility to know which ones are annual, which ones are not and to check what my vet is administering each year; for example parvo is a 3 yearly booster, so giving it every year is unnecessary. Lepto needs to be given annually. I personally don't feel that vaccinating in line with the recommendations is harmful. Under vaccinating has the potential to increase disease and I don't think we know enough about over vaccinating. As Tango gets older (she is currently ~4 years old) I may well choose to titre test instead, but for now I am happy to booster. I never bother with kennel cough though.

It's a difficult one. I've heard lots that suggests that once they reach a certain age there's no need to continue vaccinating - but as others have said, I can't bring myself to take that chance.

There is enough parvo still around to make me think that needs to be up to date and with all the floods we've had in this area, the vets are seeing more cases of lepto (my vet said she'd never actually seen a case of it and then had three cases in one winter - they think from dogs messing around in contaminated flood water). In fact, when Willow's booster was due this year she had an additional "shot" to make sure all the current lepto strains were covered and would you believe that the vaccine makers paid for the second dose - I only had to pay the normal amount for the regular booster, so I guess they're not all bad!!!

I was talking to a lady a number of years ago who said that she didn't vaccinate her children (against anything) and her animals were all the same, she felt there was no substitute for natural immunity ... I obviously respect her right to make that decision, but I can't say I agree with her?

I realised the other day that I'd completely forgotten to take two of our cats to have their annual boosters.

The dog was going for his anyway, so I asked the vet about the cats. She said not to worry, she'd been to a conference recently where they were saying that they only really need vaccinating every three years... unless they will need to go into a cattery. It's only when they are young that they need them annually.

Whilst this was a comfort, I still have a niggling feeling that I'm being neglectful by not having had them done... not sure if I should leave them till next year or not :think:

Its a tricky one. We had a cat which had an adverse reaction to a jab, and our vet was very concerned. Unfortunately, one of the other cats subsequently became ill as well and died, but he was an old boy. I am now quite cautious when its booster time, but we use catteries a lot and so not having a jab is not an option for us. I have also found stray cats before now, who have been suffering from FIV and that was heartbreaking, so on balance I would always have my cats vaccinated, but thats my own, purely personal, decision, and if they are without a jab for say 18 months, then I don't worry.

I think as puppies it's important, our new one has had her two sets and the vets have advised a further parvo on at 16 weeks as apparently they are seeing a lot of cases at the moment. Will give her her first annual booster and then after that no more.

They don't go into kennels and I have seen more adverse reactions than benefits, plus once they are older and stronger I'd rather treat them for the illness rather than expose them to the risks of a vaccination that isn't always that effective.

Same with the horses, as soon as I stopped competing and didn't have to have an up to date vaccination card they had no more.