I've read a couple of topics recently regarding space per bird & have started questioning whether the coop (wooden as will wait to see how we get in before going Omlet!) I purchased is adequate (waiting to buy any chickens until back from summer hols!). We don't have a huge garden so it's by no means the biggest coop in the world, floor space 160 x 60cm. The previous owners said they kept 4 in it which I think is too much. My question is is it too small for any at all? I'd be able to let chooks free range when at home so weekends/evenings.

We've visited several farms recently for research who have the same coops on sale and they all say 3 birds would be fine in them but now I'm not so sure!! I've read conflicting articles where some say 1sq m (so we couldn't have any!) and others say 4sq foot (we could have 2!) per chicken.

I'm not sure how to add pics but if I figure it out will add!!

Thoughts welcome :)

Generally it is the run space not the coop (house) space which is the problem. When nesting in the coop the hens generally bunch up together anyway.

Usually with the coop and run combinations that are sold on the High Street the coop itself is fine but the runs are far too small.

Many people convert plastic sheds into houses then build their own run. A chap near me has turned plastic wheely bin sheds into coops.

My first chicken coop was a kid wooden wendy house which with the addition of a perch and a pop hole made a wonderful house, I then asked some chaps to build a run for me.

Sorry I have probably confused you even more now

Generally it is the run space not the coop (house) space which is the problem. When nesting in the coop the hens generally bunch up together anyway.

Usually with the coop and run combinations that are sold on the High Street the coop itself is fine but the runs are far too small.

Many people convert plastic sheds into houses then build their own run. A chap near me has turned plastic wheely bin sheds into coops.

My first chicken coop was a kid wooden wendy house which with the addition of a perch and a pop hole made a wonderful house, I then asked some chaps to build a run for me.

Sorry I have probably confused you even more now

No not at all! I can't get used to all the terminology :lol:

In that case the run space is the measurements in my first post.

Personally I would only keep them in there at night. You can make a fairly inexpensive run from plastic fencing from a builders merchants. This is my ex bats run. The wooden box is their dust bath

th_imagejpg1_zps9a350fbb.jpg

It's obviously not fox proof, so if that might be a problem for you you might be able to get something on preloved or ebay

When I read your post Egg_x I though 4 would be fine in there, as we have three breeding sets of 4 in coops 120 x 80 without any problems at all. When you said it was actually the run size and the previous owner kept 4 in there I was staggered ! You may get two bantams in there but even they won't be happy. We have 4 bantams permanently enclosed in 5 square metres with a full length perch. They were clearly not happy so we have added a small extension and let them into it afternoons.

The claims of some manufacturers are ridiculous I'm afraid.

Do mind that Omlet sells the Go Up as for being 4 average sized chickens, or 2 to 3 big breeds like Orpingtons. (Literally what it says on the site). The floor size of the run there is only 140 cm by 200 cm.

I have my three bantams in there and personally think it would be way to small if I didn't let them free range each day. Some days I home late and they are incredibly anxious to get out.

I'm completely aware of that.

Just want to point out that even Omlet isn't completely transparent on this topic. The website itself, where the set ups are sold, doesn't mention clearly if they are referring to the coop or the coop plus run, when talking about suitability for a number of chickens. And not everyone will make the extra step to do extra research on this forum.

I think even Omlet could do a bit better on informing potential buyers.

I'm completely aware of that.

Just want to point out that even Omlet isn't completely transparent on this topic. The website itself, where the set ups are sold, doesn't mention clearly if they are referring to the coop or the coop plus run, when talking about suitability for a number of chickens. And not everyone will make the extra step to do extra research on this forum.

I think even Omlet could do a bit better on informing potential buyers.

Yes I have to agree, it can be a bit misleading. My original decision to start hen keeping came because I read an article whereby Omlet suggested you could keep hens in a relatively small space/garden (without impacting their quality of life). It's not clear that it's on the assumption they are allowed out to free range for the majority of the day / placed in large WIRs.

I'm starting to think now that unless I can somehow find lots of extra space in my garden, hen keeping will be a no go for us :( I did consider creating a larger set up at my allotment but can't guarantee I can get there every single day due to other commitments so will put that idea on the back burner.

I echo Chickabee's advice. Bearing in mind that the legal minimum requirement is approximately the size of a sheet of A4 paper (and in no way am I suggesting that this is adequate) I'd venture that a run such as an Omlet run is more than adequate for three hybrid sized hens. If you can add an extension, fab. So long as they can stroll about and get out of each other's way , and have some enrichment, such as a cabbage to peck at and perhaps a dust bath, they will be fine, especially if they do get to free range for a while on most days. Don't be put off by prescriptive advice. Plenty of opinions abound, and most of them are right to a greater or lesser extent. :D

I have a tiny garden. It's about 5 m by 6 m. And it works. Most days I'm home around 5 and let the ladies out. In the weekends they can stay out as long as I'm home.

They do get figgety when being in the run for most of the day and have a good flap around the garden. But then they wander of and snuggle together behind a fern.