5fathens

Help-limping duck!

Hi there,

please can anyone advise me...one of our little ducklings appears to have a bit of a limp, she is I think about 11 weeks old now and was always a bit feisty (kicking about) when handled but on Sunday when I let them out the run she appeared to be favouring her left leg.

I had a look and couldn't see anything obvious, no cuts grazes or fungus and both feet/legs looked the same shape. she seems to be getting a little better ( I have left them in the run for a couple of days so she is able to rest without wanting to explore the garden and chase the flies etc.)

but she is still not quite right although she has full movement of her leg and can do all the funny ballet movements that they do she is unable to get up and in the water bowl but able to swim when placed in it, she just has this limp....any ideas? is it possible she's just sprained her ankle or something?

many thanks for reading

Just feel the joints for heat 5fathens. We use Arnica gel on sprained joints, but really the best treatment is complete rest, which means somewhere where she doesn't have to load that leg any more than just standing or walking.

Thank you, I have ,managed to feel her foot/leg this evening and it does feel a bit hot round the ankle ( if ducks have ankles?) in the absence of arnica cream I've popped some savlon on it and will get some arnica gel tomorrow.....any tips on how to make a duck rest?

We put chickens in a darkened room in a cage, but I don't know how practical that is for a duck. I wonder if it is possible to tape the joint so it doesn't move?

I've got a separate cage/small run that I could put her in in the garden but they get so upset when they're apart I think it may do her more harm than good. I have just put the baby bath in their run so the others are happy and she can enjoy the spraying of water she'll get, she does appear a little stronger this morning and is still very happy and joining in with the others all except being able to fully weight bare and not able to get into the bath.....have bought arnica so will try that later too....not sure about the strapping as they are always so wet and muddy!

Hi yes it sounds like she has managed to sprain her ankle one of my runners has done this she couldn't hardly walk the only treatment I gave her was complete cage rest for a week in the day put the cage where she can still be with the others as Ducks don't like being separated all my other ducks would sit next to the cage and then at night I would carry her to the house so they still all slept together.The funny thing is she remembers she hurt her leg on the decking and has never jumped up on it again all the others do but she will wait for them on the grass and who says Ducks are dumb :lol: leanne :)

well the arnica and rest appear to be helping as she is so much stronger and able to hop up unto things again and is generally keeping up with the others...I will keep it up until she is totally better even though she doesn't appreciate her personal bath and cream application each day! I have asked before about wing clipping but just thought I'd check if anyone here knows if 12 weeks would be ok to clip as we nearly lost one over the fence at the beginning of the week and once our little hop along is better it would be lovely to be able to let them out in the garden again.....

Pleased to hear she is improving. We don't clip any wings because it removes a primary defence mechanism. Just make the fences taller. But I appreciate ducks can fly better than chickens.

wouldn't they need to be sky high to stop them flying over?

we also have a slight problem with one of our boundary fences (not ours) not going to be repaired until next January! it has a temporary 3 foot one at the moment.....our cheekiest duck was very close to getting over the proper 6 foot fence tho which was a tad scary!