anamiya

Implants

Hello, I've had successful results with suprelorin implants in the past on 2 of my ex batts with peritonitis but I seem to remember reading somewhere here on the forum about a hormonal injection that could be given on a more regular basis. Does anyone know the name and had experience with it ? Is it perhaps called lupron????

What are you using the Suprelorin or Lupron for - do you have another hen with Peritonitis?

I've not read up much about it but to me a 2 weekly hormone injection doesn't sound great for the little chook.

Personally I would change her feed to try and get her to stop laying that way, manage her so she's comfortable and deal with it that way.

We have had two with peritonitis in the past and we used the suprelorin on them and we were pleased with the results as it was long term and meant they could continue with their free range retirement for another year or so.

I realised Lupron is a name for a similar product they use in America. The name of the implant injection I was looking for is delvosteron. The vet administered it to our Squiffy yesterday as I didn't want her to have the suprelorin due to the side effects in the first two weeks. I think we have caught the peritinitis early enough and to manage it with these jabs which will hopefully last 3 months each time. She's on baytril too and the improvement in her today compared to last week is incredible, she is back to her normal self now!

Squiffy is in a flock with laying hens so I cannot change her feed as it would mean separating her from them. Out of interest what feed would you recommend?

Just wheat is the feed to stop them laying. We use that method for hens with a prolapse. Very boring diet though and lacking all the necessary extra vitamins and oils. Basically you need to drop the protein down from 15% in layers pellets to 8-10% in wheat. Free ranging is out because of all the insects they could eat. But treats like cabbage and apple would be fine.

I would be singing from the roof tops if a simple change to just wheat would stop a hybrid especially and ex bat to stop laying.jolly sight cheaper than either implants or delosterone... I have found the injection can lasted little as two weeks to nine. Watch and catch her fast if when she starts talking more, eating more, comb gets redder or bigger. Good luck.