Sentiant

How to build Confidence in a human?

Hello again, as some may remember from my introduction post my Sussex flew off on the first day (got her back eventually) well I'm clipping wings this evening (all three girls) but i still have a problem. My wife took a serious confidence knock when this happened, she has gone from not being able to wait to hold them/feed them to being to scared to do anything with them. It is horrible to see as she was so egg-cited about getting the chickens. Has anyone got any experience of this or have any tips on how to get that egg-citment back?

If your girls will take corn / treats from your hand, I would get her to start by sitting quietly with a flat hand with food on, and letting the girls feed from her hand. That way she and the girls will become more confident around each other and there's less likely to be loads of flapping and squawking! After a short while she should feel more confident around them and be able to pick them up if she wants / needs to. Mine don't really enjoy being held and will always try to flap off if they sense you haven't got a firm hold around the wings, so I wouldn't recommend picking them up until she is sure she will keep hold of them because if she is a bit half hearted about it they probably will try to escape!

Hopefully Sentient she will be giving you a hand with wing clipping tonight,much easier with two.Then I suppose it's that gradual re introduction and hopefully her confidence will grow.Does she help with feeding?I would encourage her to go with you at treat times.there is nothing nicer than letting them eat mealworms or corn off your palm.Such a shame you had bad start,here's hoping you can turn things around.

It's horrible when your first experience isn't the best, one poor omleteer "paulad" had a horrible time when she first started keeping hens, she had a hen die suddenly, illness and bullying! She persevered and I see her posts from time to time so guess she is still experiencing morehens disease

Hens will be anyone's best friend for a handful of mealworms as once they associate your good lady with a few treats of mealworms then job done...happy chooks and happy wife....they will soon be jumping on her knee for the treats

I would encourage your wife to just be around the birds, she doesn't need to touch them if she doesn't want to, watching them and noticing their funny little ways and differences. If she gets to know them a bit as individual characters she might start to be a bit more interested and comfortable :D

Its extremely normal for birds to be not keen on being held, its a safety thing as well as being uncomfortable unless done correctly. You could think of booking yourselves on a course about handling/keeping birds, they are good starting points about all sorts of issues, and should help build confidence. TBH most of my stock hate being handled, some birds/breeds are just like that, and although I do handle them regularly to check for lice/mites etc, it can be a real battle sometimes.

Not all birds will come and feed from the hand, they need to build up confidence, so this could be a good way in for both your wife and the chooks. It is a lovely feeling, and even though my lot are not keen on much touching they will come to be fed.

They will be much calmer at night, on the roost, just before sleeping, so depending on your coop set-up it might be nice for your wife to be able to stroke the birds as they are settled down for the night. Chicken feathers are sooo soft!

....... or maybe you can just be 'the handler' and she need not touch/hold them at all. We've had different combinations of 3 chooks for around five years now and I confess I have only got as far as stroking them if they obligingly crouch for me - my husband does all the picking up and checking of them or capturing them for vet trips etc. But I do all the other things like give treats, clean the Eglu out, put their grub/glug in and out and spend hours just watching them so she need not be excluded. As long as one of you is confident in handling them then if she becomes so too that's a bonus.

As with most things, it takes time. As the birds get tamer for you they will become easier to handle for the whole family. I urge you to give them treats as often as you can. They will be more cooperative if you let them come to you. I spend lots of time sitting on the step. It puts you on their level and they can learn to get up close to you and get used to brushing past you as they plunge their heads into the treat pot. In their greedy haste they will be on your lap before they know it. Your wife can also be close to them without having to handle them, just feeding them from the treat cup.

Are they laying yet? If not, you will notice they are much less flighty once they do. Never bother chase a chicken- they jink and weave like a top class rugby player. Lure them with the treats (grape is the ultimate weapon in our house) and before you know it they are back in the run (Doh! We fell for it again!).

Good luck, enjoy!

When I first got my girls a few years ago now the Omlet man delivered my two lovely girls and I was petrified. My Granddaughter had to come and give me moral support.

I was so disappointed in myself as I had always wanted chickens.

I was OK if they kept their distance but as soon as they came towards me I came out in a cold sweat and panicked which made them panic :roll:

I remember my first post on here was for help in not panicking .

I had some great advice which was similar to above .I would sit on a seat in the garden or in the run and just watch reading a magazine and a glass or wine to drink . Meal worms for a treat if they came to near.thrown from a distance at first and they got nearer and nearer.

4 years later I would not have believed that I would be picking them up ,cuddling , washing poopy bottoms and administering drops at some stage .

Final bit of advice ..Don't let them get the upper hand because half a chance and they will be in charge :lol:

Chickens will change your life and the fear will go .They are just as afraid of us at first as we are of them.

Jackie x