Mari

Is a hen happier to be bullied than alone?

I'm a very new chicken owner having inherited 2 Rhode Island Reds with the house I bought 2 months ago. Unfortunately one of the hens died and Big Joe was left on her own.

All advice said she would be very lonely and needed friends, and indeed she bonded with me and I've become very fond of her.

So I went to purchase 2 POL as a flock for her but was convinced, at the poultry farm, to take 2 older chooks with about 1 year of laying left, who had been relinquished that morning. The owner told me they were placid and would be great with my girl.

Well they're not. I read all about the brutal hierarchy process so I was prepared but I wasn't prepared for the 2 new hens to completely bully and isolate my girl. I feel unsure that I've done the right thing - she's still lonely and isolated in her own home now. Would this situation really be better than being on her own?

It's been about 6 days, they are separated except for a bit of supervised free ranging. Big Joe just avoids the others now (which is sad in itself) but they will seek her out, jump on her and attack, sometimes together. I do understand that chooks have their own behaviours but...I'm finding it difficult to believe I've made her life happier!

Any advice from all you experts would be so welcome. Should I leave her on her own? Should I preservere with these 2? Should I get a couple of younger hens instead? Who knew chickens were so complicated!

Firstly, welcome to the forum. A few observations - 6 days is very early for an introduction, it can take weeks for them to fully integrate. A bit of jostling and pecking is normal in any flock even when they're all the same age. There has to be a hierarchy and the bottom hen will feed after the others and be put in her place if she tries to get in first.

My view is that yes, they are happier in a flock even if they are the bottom hen, than on their own.

It looks horrid to us, but hens really don't seem that bothered - as long as there's no serious pecking and blood isn't being drawn, I'd let them get on with it.

I wouldn't try adding any more hens into the mix, just give them time to get used to each other. And, sorry to say it but I think you were conned into buying older hens - however they will still lay, and things will settle down. Have you got more than one feeder and drinker (temporary ones will do like an ice-cream carton) so they can't keep Joe from the food? Carry on with supervised free ranging, and be patient - it will get better.

Thanks for quick reply :)

I guess I'm unsure about what constitutes serious pecking. They don't just keep her from food etc, they actively seek her out when she's off somewhere minding her business and jump on her pecking at her neck and comb. There's been no blood yet but I think that's because I don't leave them alone for long.

Also I was given the old chooks and would have no hesitation in returning them....

I would return the oldies and get what you intended Mari. In my experience RIR's are pretty aggressive, so if she is on the receiving end the other two must be downright nasty. Sometimes they accept being bullied just to remain in the flock, their flock instinct being so strong. But we have had plenty of cases where the hen prefers being on her own to being bullied. We always separate when fighting starts and if it remains serious out come the beak bits.

I agree with Beantree too. When I was reading your post, I was thinking that's exactly what you should do. I've got 4 ex bats, they are Isa Browns, they do not mic and have to be kept seperate. They can be really nasty. Get 2 point of lay hens, big bob might bully them a bit, but it shouldn't be half as bad.

So that's 3 votes for take them back :D . Good luck with your decision, and happy hen keeping. You will love it once it starts going right.

Agree with Beantree. Might also be good to get 2 pol hens who are unknown to each other - maybe from different sources. Keep them separated but within view of each other for a week or so, then try freeranging together. A quick squirt from a small water pistol helps deter a potential bully. Three strangers meeting up will all be in the same boat and hopefully you'll have less of a problem. Good luck!

I would also take the others back and get two inexperienced youngsters for her.

I was down to my last hen 3 weeks ago, and she had one week where she was totally alone .. I felt so sad for her.

I decided to introduce two POL hens to her, and she was so desperate for company she welcomed them with open wings.

She is now acting as though they are her babies.

You have been fobbed off I'm afraid. Introductions are always tricky and this person should never have told you that things would be fine, as you were introducing a younger hen to a bonded twosome. I'd take them back and demand one or two newer hens. If your go for two, go for two who are not bonded, then everyone will be on the same footing.

I'd vote for taking them back and getting two pol ones too.

I often think about what we will do when we are left with one (especially this last week when Lottie's not been well) and have always assumed that getting two younger ones would be the best thing to do.

Good luck - I'll be interested to see how things turn out.