Nikipins

Fox or cat attack

I got home from work yesterday to find one of my chickens dead with a bite mark mark on their neck but no other sign of injury. The other chicken was hunched in a corner with puncture wounds on her neck but no other obvious injury but loads of her feathers spread around. She is looking peaky and not eating despite her injuries superficially not looking too bad so I'm not sure she will make it.

I'm not sure what attacked them. I guess a fox is top of the list. The fox would have had to climb over a number of fences to get to the chickens but once in the chicks are free ranging so easy prey. I am surprised however that both of the chickens were not killed and there has been no attempt to take the body away or eat any of it. I wondered if it was the neighbours cat. The cat has taken to stalking the chickens and did get a mouthful of tail feathers from one of them at the weekend but they are feisty birds and have always sent the cat packing in the past. I don't want to discuss with the neighbours without some proof but if it is the cat then I will need to speak to them as am planning on getting more chickens and don't want them to be cat entertainment.

So what do people think? Could it be the cat? Or is a fox still the most likely?

Thanks

I'm really sorry to hear about your girls. I would have thought that a fox would have taken or eaten at least one of them. Also in my experience there would have been a LOT more damage than just puncture wounds. So I guess of the two a cat seems more likely.

As for talking to your neighbours about their cats, I have cats and chickens, lots of neighbours have cats too, and I'm afraid it'd be very difficult for your neighbours to do much to stop the cats coming onto your property. The best you could do is try to discourage the cat from entering your garden - maybe with a water pistol? And do what you can to make sure your chickens are safe.

Good luck and I hope your injured lady pulls through :pray:

It agree with olly, it sounds like a fox,next door have a cat and often watch the girls from the top of my fence and the girls don't like it at all but he can't get to them. In sure your aware how agile and strong foxes are, I urge anyone to watch a YouTube clip of a fox getting in to a chicken run before they make a run or enclosure.

Have you thought of electric fencing if you don't have a fox proof run?

Really sorry about your girls and I hope she pulls through as shock can be a big problem too

Thanks for all the replies. I guess a fox is top suspect. I'm not sure how to increase the security apart from building a walk in run and I can't afford that at the moment. Electric fencing is not possible as there are lots of overhanging trees and buildings on the border so a fox could easily jump over. I do have a secure small run which I'm leaving the remaining chicken in at the moment but can't keep more than a couple of chickens in it.

Must get up and go and check on remaining chicken

The bottom line is that we won't ever know, but my money is on a fox. They can climb anything and are much more likely to be a chicken killer than a cat,even a feral one, and are much more common than a mink. I bet it was disturbed and that is why only one bird is dead. Puncture wounds are common as a fox will often pick up a live bird prior to making off with it, especially if disturbed.

If it was a fox, it will be back, and I'm sorry to say that you will need to sort out the security or you will lose more stock. If it was a mink, I feel very sorry for you as they are very difficult indeed to prevent, being so small. If it was a cat, then a water pistol will work, together with an electric fence. If it was a feral cat, then an electric fence will work.

Remaining chicken (star) is showing some signs of improvment. She's come out of the coop this afternoon and had something to drink so I'm hopeful she will recover. I've been checking out avairy panels to see if I could afford to make a walk in run. At least I can keep the one chook safe inside the metal run for now until I decide what to do.

I just wanted to add that we've suffered a cat-attack. Opinion seems to be that cats won't attack chickens, but I can confirm that they will!

Thankfully we were home and heard the cries for help. There was little visible damage but she didn't eat or drank for two days before finally deciding she was okay... Thankfully she's still going strong six months later, protected by 10,000 volts of cat-zapping electricity.

I've been buying panels to build my walk in run at about £5 each (including delivery). I ordered a few to begin with and then ordered more later, after pay day. I wanted to spread the cost out a bit, plus I only really have weekends to work on it so there was no need to order them all at once. Like you there's not much point having electric fencing as cats can just jump down from the fences or the garage roof (their favorite place to sit and chicken watch).

It does sound like mink or something similar, a fox would have killed or taken the hen with him, disturbing a fox mid attack does not tend to stop them in an urban environment.