sandyhas3chucks

dry shelled eggs?

As you can imagine Sandy, laying a dry shelled egg isn't going to be easy. A chicken will normally produce a lubricant to get the egg out painlessly. This lubricant then dries and seals the egg, preventing the ingress of bacteria. It sounds as though one hen isn't lubricating the eggs and I have no idea if she will ever be able to. Something is clearly wrong internally, because she is not putting the final blue coloured layer on either. So the last two components of the egg producing system are not working.

The important point here though is one of your health. If the egg isn't sealed it must be stored in a refrigerator otherwise it will go bad in a few days. This is like the American system discussed here recently, where they wash the sealer off the eggs and sterilise them before sale. Unlike UK where eggs must not be washed.

It's interesting I have three all had a cream legbar father. Two clearly had the same mother. They have five toes. The other must have had a different mother as eggs are collected daily. But one may have been the day before but unlikely. They all look similar but the one that lays white eggs is white with white beak and lobes. The other two blue lobes. So don't think the colour is connected.. Funny somone suggested more calcium? And to complicate she's just laid a softee. She did a week back and acted very poorly. She is clearly molting heavily right now. So I guess I'll have to monitor her. Thanks for replying