cloud

Hen in wrong coop

Long story short:

Our big Welsummer is in the wrong run and coop. Goose is in the Eglu with Thing 1 and Thing 2, the two young cream legbars. They've all seem to be snuggled down okay, so I've left them till the morning.

I'm inclined to leave her in this run tomorrow when I go to work, but she was chasing the young ones at the weekend - the weekend was the first time we let them free range together. I'll get them up early before anything kicks off, but is it fair to keep them together when I can't monitor them? Or should I yank her out and put her back with the other hens before I open the pop hole?

Long story

I need OH's permission to tell, but it ended with chasing Goose around the garden at 7pm with no light except a hand torch.

Not too much kerfuffle this morning in the coop, but when I let them out into the run it was clear that Goose was going to spend her day chasing the young ones. Fortunately she went back in the Eglu so I could close the door and drag her out the side door.

She's all wings and legs until you get a firm hold, then she's quite docile in your arms (not like Coco who struggles at all times).

Goose is now back in with the other girl - where she's the lowest in the pecking order. I'm happier now even if she isn't.

she will chase the youngsters for a while any way as the lowest ranking girls as she has the most to loose that's part of the politics of a flock

I've got a couple of 6 month old pullets that have been in with my main group about 6 weeks and the CLB is getting chased by the 3 or 4 lower ranking hens quite a bit but they only really go a couple of steps but she runs a mile her light Sussex 'sister' on the other hand is flavour of the month with Fred the cockerel so she is more or less left a lone but she's a bit thick so she runs away if another of the mob gets near her weather they are going to shove her out of the way or not

trouble is with that group most of the lower ranking girls have more or less finished moulting so there's a bit of a power struggle going on at the moment Fred's a wimp were the girls are concerned so just lets them get on with it

I thought as much. The plan for the next week or so is to let them all free range together where there is space for them to get out the way. Pecking order is Coco --> Siouxsie --> Mimi --> Goose --> CBLs I don't expect that to change any time soon, but before we try to get them all in to the big coop together I'd like the CBLs to be a little big bigger and the other to be a little more used to them being part of the flock.

Long term goal is to get them all in the big coop - I think they all benefit from the extra warmth of being together at night, especially if we have a cold winter.

I'd also love to workout how we get Goose to go in to the big run - Coco get to be a right madam and chases Goose away at any attempt at meal worm bribery. Only Siouxsie can stand up to Coco