Ain't Nobody Here

Nestbox cameras

Considering buying a nestbox with a wireless camera for OH. He is really into birdwatching so I think he'd love it. We need a new birdbox in any case.

They are quite pricey though, so wondered if anyone has any advice/experience of them? This is the one I'm looking at - click

I'd need to buy a audio/video capture device too to get it onto his PC so I'm thinking carefully about it as the costs are mounting (I'll also have to get the power supply in our garage fixed although that will be handy for other things too!)

He does deserve it though :P .

Is there a specific need to go wireless?

I ask as you will still have to power the camera so you might as well power it from where you receive the signal...ie the monitor.

I have seven or eight box cams (yes, sad.......) and by far the best value ever are the two Aldi boxes for £39.99. The pictures are sharp and full of colour and have never failed, something I can't say about the first, expensive one I tried.

Aldi had them in the third week of December last year so they might be around again before Christmas.

Video capture devices are cheap as chips.

I thought I'd need wireless as the birdbox will be on the side of the garage, which isn't attached to the house, so I can't run a cable from the transmitter to the house. Perhaps I'm making this more expensive than it need be?

What video capture devices do you use? I've seen cheap ones but I'm not sure if you get what you pay for :think: ?

I have an EZCAP grabber, but that's for Mac. Amazon has loads, they are all quite basic being really just three leads and a USB plug so not much to go wrong I would have thought.

How far from the house is the nest box sited? I have a 50 metre lead from our owl box at the bottom of the garden that snakes along the fence then across to the sun room. Don't worry about a loop of wire hanging between buildings, it soon becomes invisible.