SallymaySteven

Maggie & Helga

Hi

Thought I'd give you a Maggie and Helga update.

They like each other. Lol. They are living nicely together in their run. Maggie is still a pig and tries to take things off Helga but Helga is a sneaky one. Takes things from Maggie with out her realising, very funny to watch. Maggie is laying an egg every day and really likes you to know about it. No sign of Helga laying yet. We bought her as a point of lay but no signs yet. Is this normal?

Maggie still likes a stroke before bed and I have started to do same to Helga. At first she was nervous but now seems to like it too and now comes when I call her name.

Will post pictures when it lets me. Hubby says I've got OCD big time lol. Love my chicks

Sally :P

'Point of lay' seems a rather vague term SallymaySteven. They are sold after about 16 weeks, basically to keep the breeders feed costs down. The reality is they will lay at 20 to perhaps 36 weeks, depending on breed. Sounds like an exercise for Watchdog.

Yes they will (most) recognise their name. It takes one or two seconds to process that sound and then they will get your attention. They have a very small, but very efficient, brain that is taking in a lot of information. Their eyes take in two separate images and they are processed as a photo comparison with other images stored. One eye does distance wide vision, the other close scrutiny. This needs a lot of effort, so sound, unless cockerel alarms, comes second. No scientific backup for that, just my careful observation. Start whatever you say with their name and wait a moment.