northybaby

Very ill chicken

Hi all,

So yesterday I noticed one of the chickens was looking a bit odd. She was standing a little bit upright and had her head stuffed down inside her body. I gave her a look and she felt a bit light and had a slightly pooey bum.

Then this morning she wont move, her eyes are closed and she wont open them. I cant get her to drink anything. shes totally out of it. I have put her in a cardboard box filled with clean straw and moved her inside the house.

Its really not looking good. Anyone got any ideas? These are my first hens. we have had them for about 2 years.

thanks

Think she's beyond help. Not even sure she is conscious. Do they just slip away?

She may very well but I'm sure you don't want to leave her suffering. If you are confident you can do it then cull her, if not the get her to the vet ASAP as I think it's just delaying the inevitable. It sounds mean but I can't imagine a happy ending to this for her.

Moving forward, I'm sure you already do but I give my girls a once over once a week, just pick them up and give them a peek over so you can pick up any weight loss etc early

That's the best way really I think, she was in her home which she knew. I personally wouldn't take mine to the vets unless I thought they might recover, the stress of it all is no good for a chicken, plus we have no vet who is less than half an hour awAy by car. I have someone locally who I can call to cull if required. I am sure your chicken had a lovely life with you.