paulad

new hens - need help !

Hi there

We have just adopted 3 more hens - we think they are around 2 years old - that seem to be totally feral and doesnt look like they have been handled much at all.

Its quite a shock for us as all our hens have always been handled and so let us pick them up (even the fussy ones)

We realise it is going to take quite some time to tame these new girls - any hints or tips to make things easier ??

They seem quite overweight too and I think they have been over feed on corn

thanks in advance

Hi! Well I guess they're separated from your other girls and it's a case of softly, softly. They will need to settle in. Have they already got the pecking order sorted? That would be a bonus :wink: They may never be a happy about being handled as your others, but it can definitely improve :D

Max my cockerel had only been fed on corn when I got him :shock: So I weaned him on to a mix of pellets and corn, with less and less corn, now he only a small amount as a "treat" in the afternoon You could try mealworms as a treat for them.

Just do what you feel is best, but realise it may take time :roll:

Ok, now the important stuff....pics!!!!

thanks Mimi5

yes they are separated in the WIR but can see each other - we got them yesterday and they all FRed today for a very short time and it was all quite calm really - only trouble was it took 40 mins to get the newbies back in !!

Our plan is to try and sit in with them as much as poss and slowly win their trust but i think it will take a long long time.

We have trained ours to come back in when the mealworm tub is shaken so again that is the plan for the newbies - but no corn - they are proper huge !!!

Can believe 2 years ago we had 4 chucks and now we have 10 !! oh my goodness !!

Pics - sorry I'm not very good with technology but i will try

thanks again x

So just got a tip for you. If you need to look over the girls, say a health check. Just wait till they've roosted and then take them out one at a time to check over :wink: they should be sleepy/docile.

Wow you're adventurous free ranging already :shock:

Let us know how it goes :D

thanks mimi - i hadnt thought of that - we do need to check one of them over actually - so might try tonight at bedtime!!

it wasnt me that let them FR - hubby !!! say no more !!!

It was fine until we tried to get them back i n - took 30 mins and needed both of us !!

Hubby wont be doing that again quickly !!!

Last night i just sat in with them for a while - slowly slowly is how its got to be x

it wasnt me that let them FR - hubby !!!

:D I have one of those too :wink:

Just wait till it's going dark outside, then they should be sleepy.

I also find that mine get used to my voice,I guess like all animals they know your intensions from the tone you use. I have week old chicks in my classic and they know my voice already. I check on them when get home from work and they all come out from under mum to see me :D I'm already picking them up daily to get them hopefully friendly and easy to handle (it worked with their mum, who I hatch under a broody 3 years ago :wink: )

I'm sure you'll see improvement over the coming months :D