Old Speckled Hen

So it begins

We've had swarms in this area already.

I knew one of mine needed a super (it over wintered on brood-and-a-half) but when I went in on Saturday there were lots of queen cells. I don't know if I was in time to stop them swarming, I've been at work all week so they had to take their chance - I'll find out at the weekend if they're still there!

We've had swarms in this area already.

I knew one of mine needed a super (it over wintered on brood-and-a-half) but when I went in on Saturday there were lots of queen cells. I don't know if I was in time to stop them swarming, I've been at work all week so they had to take their chance - I'll find out at the weekend if they're still there!

My goodness it sounds like a foreign language to me :lol::lol:

My mentor went through my hives on Monday with me, we marked the queens and he made sure everything was in order . He thinks one of my hives may be thinking of making preparations to swarm ( they are now on a brood and a half and have a part filled super of honey)...he's warned me to be vigilant and to be ready to AS them Tomorrows job is to prepare my spare hive and a spot to put the extra hive should I need to do it,perfect preparation prevents panic , apparently :lol: .

First AS of the season.

Just in the nick of time.......myriad of swarm cells, 2 sealed.

I abandoned the usual Pagden AS as there were gazillions of bees!!!!!

There were eggs so we went through the box three times before we found queen.

I have used a Modified Snelgrove without a split board so I didn't have to knock down a single QC. Thank heavens really as I stopped counting them.