Lottiesmum

Lone chicken

Our flock had reduced from five to two. Lottie and Daisy have been very happy together for the last 18 months. Sadly this morning I found Daisey had died. Both have been laying each day. So I guess it was old age, daisy was 6 months younger than Lottie who we've had for five years. Both looking very healthy. My question is, should I leave Lottie on her own, or get some more?

A few hens will live quite happily on their own Lottiesmum, but they are an exception to the general rule that chickens are flock animals and must remain so. What you may find is she shrinks into her own little world and stops talking. She will then spend a lot of time standing with a vacant stare. Within a few weeks she will stop eating and then drinking and will just waste away. You may have no option but to get a companion. However if she seems to remain behaving normally and even makes foody noises if given treats she will be fine alone in my experience.

I would add at least 2 hens, otherwise when she flutters away you will be back to square one :)

In fact adding 3 would be good, if you can, because 3 new hens will prevent her from pecking at them so much & keep her on her toes!

There will still be the pecking order to sort out, & she will of course be big boss hen, but safety in numbers for the new hens is always good :D

It's so sad to see them go. I too am down to one lone hen this week. Mabel, who will be 6 next month, is alone after Anna of the same age was PTS on Monday. Mabel is still laying and going about life as normal looking like a spring chicken. To my human eye she looks all alone but there's no change in her behaviour. Does that mean she may be one of the few who are OK alone or is it too early to judge after 5 days?

I've been meaning to ask this question for a while as my chickens are getting older now. They seem very healthy but it's something I think about -

I don't plan to get more chickens when these die and as they've been together forever and are very close I've assumed they will die fairly close together. But what if one doesn't and you don't want more? They're not cuddly chickens so that kind of tlc wouldn't work. Do you just go and say hello a bit more often? What do other people do who have been in that situation?

Yes Jude, if you're left with a lone hen and not wanting to get more I would just keep an eye to see she's fine on her own and go down to see her more. We've taken in lone hens in the past from people in a similar situation.