mollyripkim

Eight broodies driving me mad!

Eight broodies now out of eighteen girls, four each in the cubes, the latest pair spent three days and nights in the dog cage and still went straight back on release.

Haven't got enough cages to put them all in so doing two at a time and chucking the others off the nest every couple of hours. Never known it so bad and one of the other poor girls resorted to laying in the run.

Any other suggestions to break them welcome.

It sounds like your doing all you can :D I feel your pain......I have pekins :lol: need say no more :roll: At my highest in numbers I thought about having broody towers :doh: But down to 2 girls, of which one never goes full on broody :wink: But have hatched and have some lovely little growers........may need broody towers in the future :oops:

One thing I would recommend is if you let a girlie out and she goes straight up to the nest, pop her straight back in the anti-broody for another 24 hours, then try again :wink:

Oh no! Here I was thinking that having 2 broodies was bad enough. We've constructed a double broody cage out of omlet mesh for our silkies who went broody on the same day, began laying after broodiness on the same day and have now gone broody again, yep, on the same day :wall: Plus they laid an egg in the cage just to make me feel guilty :roll:

Sorry, no useful advice there :lol: I'll shut up now...

A fan? Its so windy here - I dont know where you are but the wind is too fierce for sitting around on eggs or no eggs. You must have a stoic bunch there. I cant really offer advice as I dont think I;ve come across a broody in my small flock. Now ask me re egg eaters and I can wax lyrical for hours :think:

Thanks everyone, you all make me smile, no not even all this rain and wind has discouraged them. My silkie is quite good natured about and will potter around when I take her out but omg a couple of the Pekins and an Orp are so ratty. Needless to say the worst offenders are back in the cage. Fingers crossed.

Please no Leanne, that would be my whole lot broody. I wonder if it's the slightly warmer temperature down south. I have left my call duck sat on six eggs in the run, she was useless last year so I am so so tempted to put them under a broody. Knowing my luck that would stop them though and then I would feel guilty about the eggs.