mullethunter

Cat suddenly reluctant to use cat flap

Smudgie suddenly seems really reluctant to come in through the cat flaps. From the back garden / patio there's a flap into the garage, then another from there into the house. He's lived here for ten years with no problems but this week we don't think he's used them at all- he's just waiting by the patio door to be let in.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening or what we can do about it?2

My guess would be that you've had an intruder - maybe he's been out and come back to find another cat in the house? It is worth just checking that he hasn't got a sore head or mouth though, there might be something stopping him from pushing the flap open, but it sounds to me like a behavioural issue, and the most likely cause of that would be threat from another cat.

I would suggest the same. Might be worth having a clean of the flaps with something like soda that takes smells away. If the intruder has scent marked the flaps, it might also keep your cat from using them.

Another great tip (I got from a vet) is to 'hide' the entrance of the flap on the outside a bit. By placing a plant pot or bench or anything similar close to the flap, cats don't feel as vulnerable when exiting the house. They can hide and observe for a bit, before venturing out.

Edited by Guest

Thanks all. That's definitely a possibility. There are a lot of other cats around here and we have seen one try to follow him in through the flap before (they're the infra red ones that are unlocked by our cats and remain unlocked for a few seconds).

He finally came in this morning after we left him on the patio for ages, but we'll definitely clean them as you suggest Cattails.