Jenthelibrarian

Introduction dilemma - help plse!

Our previous experience of introducing two new girls to one old one went very smoothly, our Tilly made sure the new ones knew their place and then pretty much became their nice aunty and all was harmony. Sadly she died at the weekend.

We are now trying to introduce two new girls to Lucy, who has always been a bit flighty, and is now being horrible.

We have an Eglu classic coop with an extension section to the run, and some Omlet netting.

Day one we put the new girls in the Eglu run, with Lucy outside but contained in a pen of netting so they could see each other. That evening we opened the door of the Eglu run, the new girls came out into the pen area, but were attacked by Lucy. That night she roosted in the Eglu coop, having chased the new girls out to sleep in the Eglu run. We threw a tarpaulin over the whole thing to keep the wind and rain off and keep them quiet in the morning.

Last night we contrived a temporary house for bad Lucy, in a separate netting pen. The new girls seemed too scared to go into the coop and again slept in the Eglu run, with a tarpaulin over them. This morning one of them laid an egg out in the open run, although we have since seen her go into the coop [progress!?]

Lucy seems stressed and enraged by two strangers being in 'her' home.

So: do we stick to our guns and banish her to the temporary home, letting the new girls settle in the Eglu?

Or: would it be better to let Lucy reclaim the Eglu and banish them?

My inclination is to keep the new girls in the Eglu and hope they establish some rights, but will this drive Lucy to further rage?

Help!

To make it clear - my list of hens below is now out of date, we currently have Lucy plus two new arrivals.

My guess is that Lucy will be pretty angry wherever she is! The key thing is keeping them apart till they have got to know each other. As long as you can keep Lucy fox proof, I would carry on as you are, the new girls will get the hang of roosting/the nesting box quite soon.

Once they are sleeping in the Eglu at night, you could try putting Lucy in there once they're all asleep as she's unlikely to bother them till dawn - they still need to be separated during the day though, so at this time of year it means getting up early!

I'm made a little bit nervous by your reference to a netting pen - Omlet netting won't keep foxes out. I hope you've got something secure for her to be in.

We've recently had a bad introduction - ending in a trip to the vet after a nasty attack by one chook on another. Some chickens just seem to need more time - I would continue as you are - slowly - it will happen but maybe weeks not days. I know thats probably not what you want to hear. I always want them to gel immediately - but it sometimes doesn't. In my experience, it always happens eventually though. Good luck

Our two joined a week today and it has been pretty had to watch some of the behaviour, but sadly it's natural and on the plus side I am seeing some improvements, though small on a days by day basis. They are completely fine free ranging from day one and then I had the two news in broody cage for night one. Day 2 free ranging together before splitting for a few hours and then I popped them into the eglu very late of night and there was no dramas until the morning. They were then separated by the broody cage when we were out but vis able to each other. Day 3 we had a turn for the worse and the bully stood in and attached at any possible time. Relentless. After watching this behaviour for 24 hours we decided that we could let this continue and we put bulky in the broody cage and left the other three to it. This arrangement for 24 hours really helped. The squabble still and it is difficult to watch but it is better than the replica scenes from Fight Club we experienced earlier in the week. This morning they were all quietly waiting for their food three in the run and the other newbie popping in and out of the eglu periodically. I am buying a lot of lettuce and cabbage to add distraction to the run fir when they do need to all be in the run together and they have separate sources of water and food, though bully does her best of guarding both! Vaseline for their combs is essential. We are applying at least twice a day.

It sounds as though every intro is different and tough for at least a week or so but often longer. Hope you ladies improve relations and mine also keep heading in the same direction!

It works, they are too sleepy to bother with each other - the theory (I believe) is that this way they will acquire the sane smell. You have to separate them again before daylight though and at this time of year that's pretty early.

We used to add newbies straight in after quarantine at night and then sprayed everyone with lavender. The results were a bit hit-and-miss, so now we just keep them alongside for a few weeks first and add them when they are all free ranging. When they seem comfortable together we put them to bed in the main coop and don't bother spraying.

I was under the impression that chickens (if not all birds) don't have a great sense of smell, unlike mammals. If that's true then making everyone smell the same wouldn't work as well to mark newbies as part of the flock.

I would imagine that chickens are more visual creatures so being able to see the new ones and become familiar with their movements would be a more successful way of introduction.

I don't know - I've never tried the 'everyone smell the same' method, only the long slow 'I can see you but I can't get you'. :lol: