Bramble

Any advice on greenhouses, please???

Not sure which category to post this in :anxious::anxious: but after faffing about FOREVER I've more or less decided to take the plunge and get a greenhouse - problem is, what kind?? I wonder if the wonderful all-knowing Omlet Oracle has any words of wisdom for me ... ? :whistle::whistle::whistle:

I'm thinking it will be a 6x8 - could possibly go longer, but 6 foot is really the max width ...

What material (frame and glazing would you all recommend)?

Is there any advantage to having a lean-to type rather than a freestanding?

Brick/paving base, or just laid on bare earth (obviously needs to be "anchored" in some way)?

Proposed site will have full sun in the morning, but will be in full shade from about 3pm - will that defeat the object of having a greenhouse?

I'm planning on using it for propagation, rather than growing toms/melons etc ...

Any essential "extras" I should look at (I'm toying with the idea of having electric run to it, but not sure if it's worth it)?

Sorry, lots of questions, but any and all help will be very gratefully received, thanks!!!! :angel::D:oops:

I recently bought a small greenhouse from Primrose and am really pleased with it. It's probably smaller than you need but I can recommend the Growhouse brand. It's really sold and sturdy and looks good too. I needed something attached to a wall as we get some pretty fierce winds here and it sits on the patio which is probably better for stability and for the wood too.

If you look at the second photo, you may see some little feathery creatures :wink: . Not a great photo but I got a £5 voucher for it 8) .

That's brill, thanks ANH!! Is your greenhouse screwed/anchored to your patio? I have the same problem with my coldframe going walkabout (well, fly about, really!!!) in windy weather, hence why I'd been put off the various mini greenhouse type things, but I don't think I've seen one quite as sturdy as yours!!!

Love the photo - your chucks obviously didn't want to miss out on anything!!!

if you go for a full sized greenhouse then it'll need to be well anchored to the ground as with the winds we've been getting this last few years it will get blown about and personally I'd go for a fully slabbed base there far more user friendly and more or less weed free and I'd go for a Aluminium and glass one there'll last a lot longer than a plastic one and or more or less maintenance free compared to a wooden one. the only all plastic ones I've seen in use even when well anchored ended up blown to bits in a 40mph gale

learn two's are all right if you only have a limited space or you want a 2nd greenhouse for propagation but you can out grow them fairly quickly if it's your only one and you get bitten by the growing bug I've got 2 8x6 and I can run out of space very quickly in the spring when I'm potting up

the location is all right but you'll find that a small house will get hot in the morning in full sun but very few of us have an ideal site for a greenhouse, mine are in full sun all day as I'm south facing and it can get to 100degs plus in March I've had 140 + on more than one occasion even with the doors and windows fully open had numerous thermometer boil and blow the tops off over the years but that's part of the 'fun' of having a greenhouse I've had the one 30+ years

auto window vents are a must electric is useful but not a must have but that's depend on what you want to grow I've got electric for my propagators but I don't heat the houses any more

Thanks ANH and SJP!!

I was thinking of electric for individual propagators rather than actually heating the greenhouse as a whole.

I have a fair bit of experience with various mini greenhouses being smashed to smithereens (is that how you spell that?) in even relatively mild winds, I agree the gale force jobs we've had in the last couple of winters would see most things off if not VERY well anchored.

Space is ALWAYS going to be an issue, the more space I have, the more I need/want - at the moment I can't see my patio for miscellaneous baby plants that have yet to find a home :oops::oops: - keeping the chucks away from them is a huge issue!!

I could put a greenhouse in a position where it would be in full sun for all but the early morning, but as you say, SJP, I think that would present other issues ... isn't it all complicated? I've been wanting a greenhouse for 15 years :oops::oops::oops: during which time I've even moved house and still haven't taken the plunge. I went to look at some yesterday at the garden centre, but there was no one around who was remotely interested in talking to me about them :(:(

As for construction being a big issue ANH - I can agree entirely - I installed a greenhouse for my parents over twenty years ago and it was a NIGHTMARE - I think the instructions said it should take 2-4 hours to construct - 2-4 days was more like it!!! Said greenhouse is still standing, though!!!! :D8):angel:

if you've put one together before the your half way there the first mistake you made through was to believe the instructions a greenhouse is a good long weekend's work on your own ( I won't do one with help as it doubles the time by the time I've explained every last task to the idiot that try's to help)

squaring up the un glazed frame work and fixing it down can take a morning assemble and glazing are a doddle compare to that assemble is a days work even if it only takes half a day by the time you've sorted out all the bit's and pieces and fitted the rubber gaskets that's the day done any way.

glazing is only half a day assuming all the glass is right

I completely agree, it's MUCH easier to do it yourself than with "help" (except for the tall bits that I can't reach properly - when extremely careful instruction and supervision is given to my (un)willing accomplice :whistle::whistle: )

I have to say, whilst it was a TOTAL pain in the butt to put together, I'm VERY proud of my earlier greenhouse installation, it feels all sort of "homely" when I'm in there ... !!!! 8)

When we moved here there was a small aluminium one left by the previous owners. Didn't like it much as the glass was forever sliding out and smashing in the winds. So we forked out for a huge Alton wooden greenhouse. Well the ventilation is brilliant and it's lasted a long time, but now it's beginning to rot in places and leak. Also the chickens started eating the sealant round the windows at the bottom. :roll:

A few months back we broke a window - I think it's toughened glass so just cracked all along. We currently have it duct taped. Very attractive it is too! But we've been looking into polycarbonate replacement glazing and are getting the sheets from here:

http://www.theplasticpeople.co.uk/product/polycarbonate-for-greenhouses-cut-to-size

Next house - polytunnel and outbuildings for propagation! :lol:

We have a 6' x6' and an 8' x 6', both with Aluminium frames. They must be 30 years old now. The difference in space inside seems far more than just two feet. Ours are raised on plinths and screwed down because the wind has blown them off on several occasions, fortunately without breaking any glass. Both were 'free' because people had them in their gardens, put up by the previous owners, and didn't want them. Just a case of going around and photographing to remember the assembly. Take apart, taping the various sections together and marking them, then taking the whole lot home. Glass is incredibly heavy so it may be more than one trip.

Replacement screws and glass clips are readily available, but the sealing beads I haven't sourced yet.

We also bought two 10' x 6' greenhouses in pieces just for the spare glass. Cost £20 which was less than the s"Ooops, word censored!" value in the frames.

We used to put our bantams in the greenhouse over the worst of Winters. Just needed to make sure the automatic roof vents were working properly otherwise in the sunshine they could have cooked.

I've got a aluminium 8x6 with safety glass. Costs a bit more, but I feel safe knowing that the there won't be any large dangerous shards of glass lurking if those strong winds do take a panel out. So far in 8 years, nothing has happened. I use mine to start off young plants and later to grow the usual Mediterranean stuff. I've plant in tubs on slabs. If you do have slabs, put a layer of course grit down on top as it helps to keep slugs/snails away. :D

I can recommend collapsible staging. I had it In my greenhouse (sadly I had to leave said greenhouse behind when we moved). It fixes to the frame of the greenhouse and has removable legs , handy in the spring when you need the extra space for propagation, then collapse it and hey presto extra room for tomatoes etc.

Along with the others the automatic window openers. My Dad has a mesh & wooden frame he puts in the greenhouse door way to stop invasion by the allotment bunnies. :lol:

When we moved here there was a small aluminium one left by the previous owners. Didn't like it much as the glass was forever sliding out and smashing in the winds. So we forked out for a huge Alton wooden greenhouse. Well the ventilation is brilliant and it's lasted a long time, but now it's beginning to rot in places and leak. Also the chickens started eating the sealant round the windows at the bottom. :roll:

A few months back we broke a window - I think it's toughened glass so just cracked all along. We currently have it duct taped. Very attractive it is too! But we've been looking into polycarbonate replacement glazing and are getting the sheets from here:

http://www.theplasticpeople.co.uk/product/polycarbonate-for-greenhouses-cut-to-size

Next house - polytunnel and outbuildings for propagation! :lol:

toughened glass breaks into little squares like older car windscreens personally after spends best part of 30+years working with glass and poly carb I much prefer glass in a greenhouse far less chance of it blowing out than polycarb as it's less flexible so holds it own against wind I've not had a pane blow out had a few slip but that's par for the course with ali or wood spent best part of one winter re glazing slipped glass in City of Birmingham's wooden glass houses in the early '80s

We have a small 6'x4' aluminium one with double polycarbonate sheeting. It has a sliding door at the front and one opening window. It is in the back corner of our north facing garden with a fence on one side and behind it. I find that it gets just the right amount of light and heat. I leave the door open all the time once we are into June. I grow seedlings in it early on in the year then the tomatoes are planted in there for the summer. Our sits on concrete blocks around the edge, has a flagstone path done the middle and soil around the three sides. We plant the tomatoes in large bottomless pots filled with fresh compost each year and plant basil and marigolds in the soil around them to keep the whitefly at bay. We have had ours for 10 years and it is still doing fine and has survived many a windy day, I am sure that it must be screwed into the concrete blocks because my OH like to screw everything to something :roll: