Luvachicken

All ready for Winter.

Personally, I avoid anything to do with paper and cardboard; it tends to wick dampness into it, and create mould spores. It's also a mite magnet as Olly has said. The last chook I saw with a blocked crop had been pecking at the the newspaper and shredded paper in their coop :roll:

They really don't need anything extra beyond Aubiose or wood shavings in the nest box and under the roosting bars. I would steer well away from straw and hay too. That's just my opinion, and I've tried everything over the years.

Thanks for the advice regarding cardboard. I've removed it!

I suppose it's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that chickens are like our other pets when in fact they are quite hardy.

We had a severe frost last night and they were all completely fine this morning, full of their usual mischief. We let them free range most days if we are at home and they spent a lot of time today in the compost heap which is the only part of the garden that gets sun at this time of year.

Also thanks for the advice on my signature, I'll go and have a play and see what I can do :)

Used to fret about my chooks getting cold in winter........then fast fwd to having lots of chooks and even now I have about 10 that roost in the trees all night in all weathers. Used to go out with a torch and scramble through branches to reach the lower ones and move to a coop (under duress and much squawking)....next night, back in the tree they went! Gave up and let them be as they will, well a few will come down to a coop if particularly stormy as in 60-70mph, otherwise nope!! :shock:

I'm in the balmy (not!) Outer Hebrides so.......