Peza1983

Brooding chickens

Hi all I'm wanting to incubate and raise 10/20 chickens but the house is out of bounds. I've built a brooder from ply and 4+2 5foot by 2foot my question is would it be to cold in a 15x9 bubble wrapped greenhouse I'm planning on putting one or 2 electric hens in the brooder the green house is draft free! Just after advice on what would be best. I'm in the uk thanks.

Be careful with a greenhouse Peza1983. If the sun comes out they can cook! Best bet is a well insulated shed with windows facing East. You will need a large background heating source with a thermostat, as well as the electric hens, because they won't be sufficient if the temperature goes below 20C in my experience. The heating costs will be very high unfortunately. You really need them in the house for the first 14 days as that is the most critical time of their lives.

Electric hen will be fine for that. I did it with temperature 2 to 3 C and it was fine in uninsulated plastic crate in a shed , the chicks were much happier than the ones brought under a broody hen "no chirping at all" .

I am not sure about sun heating it.

The size. 5x2 foot, You will have problems later when they are 3 weeks old, the place will be very small and miserable. so you will need a small run in front of it.

Remember, if very little day light gets in then you need a light source.

the main thing as I see it is the greenhouse getting hot with the sun on it even at this time of year a greenhouse will over heat if there's a heat source in there but the main thing will be ventilation and condensation

then as said at about 3 weeks old you'll need extra space my indoor brooder is 4 x 2 which is ok for 5 or 6 for about 4 or 5 weeks but by then I take the lid off for a time every day so they can get out. I kept 2 plus a broody (she got took out at 6 weeks)in there to about 8 weeks this year mainly because the other broody in the outside brooder stayed with her chick longer than I thought she would and I don't move broodies if they are still happy to have the chicks around

Just to clarify. We have two electric hens. One is a large 60W unit that throws out a lot of heat and would be fine at low temperatures. But we bought a Brinsea Ecoglow20, which is only good for 6 bantam chicks for about 3 weeks. The low power of 20W is certainly insufficient for heating at low ambient temperatures.

Thanks for the advice. Is it essential you have a light source then? If there under a hen they wouldn't get light on a night. I'll make the brooder Bigger if need be my main worry would be the night time temps! It's quite sunny now and the green house is at 10c thanks

Good luck.

Your best guide is the chicks themselves. put them under the electric hen and watch them, if they are chirping they are cold. if the are avoiding it. it is too hot. if they are making NO noise and seem to be contended going out for food and water and then going under the electric hen then they are happy, I know it will work. to be sure, have a look at them once when the outside temperature is at lowest