Leicester_H

MBE for champion of hen welfare

Hooray!!

THE FOUNDER OF A HEN WELFARE CHARITY has been awarded an MBE in the Queen's New Year's Honours list.

Jane Howorth, who set up the British Hen Welfare Trust in 2005, has been recognised for her charitable work which has grown from a 'one-woman-and-a-van' operation rescuing battery hens, into a national organisation that promotes hen welfare and the British free range egg industry.

See

http://www.pressat.co.uk/releases/mbe-for-champion-of-hen-welfare-dc3f67b074705042d53b412aed5f298a/

Fabulous news! Well deserved!

I do get very cross when actors, politicians etc get gongs and more for just doing what they are supposed to do (and, indeed, paid for!)

There are so many wonderful people out there who do amazing things completely off their own bat and the honours are a perfect way of recognising that!

Hurrah, that's excellent :D

I totally agree about this type of award being what the honours system should be about; its made me furious reading some of the political awards today.

Although on a lighter note, I have discovered that my previous line manager has been awarded an MBE and that he has got a very unusual set of names :lol:

So well deserved :D When the first of our ex-batts, Veronica, developed peritonitis, as well as seeing the vet I did ring BHWT to see if they had any other advice they could offer and it was Jane that I spoke to. Sadly we did have Veronica put to sleep but it really touched me that Jane spent quite some time talking to me and was obviously so dedicated to the welfare of all of the girls.