tinkkletoes

rubber or wood chippings ?

i'm thinking of upgrading the flooring / ground in my outdoor run. currently it's just earth. it was grass but they have killed that, but with all this wet weather it's more like Glastonbury on a bad day. but still trying to choose rubber or wood chippings. what have others gone with & what's the pros & cons ? any advice

At my old house they had leaf littery earth in a small covered run. It was fine because the run was in a small very sheltered garden, and even when it got wet it was never really muddy and only took a day or two to dry out.

Now I have an Omlet 3x2 WIR attached to Eglu Go plus 2m run, and the whole lot is on patio slabs and filled with hardwood chips (from Flyte So Fancy). It's brilliant. The run has a clear tarp cover and two small side covers on one corner, but with all the sideways rain over the last couple of months very little of the wood chip has actually stayed dry.

Despite the fact that the chip is wet it's still a clean surface for the girls, and they seem pretty happy on it. It's been down 3 months now and no sign of having to change it yet.

As I understand it the problem with rubber is that it can be difficult to keep clean and gets smelly.

You may find that the supplier can't guarantee there are no needle sharp pieces of metal in the rubber. They are the remnants of high tensile steel ply in the tyres that they grind up to make the chips. Obviously they pose a serious danger to the feet of your chickens and so must be avoided. I'd go for the hardwood.

I used weed membrane, then sand, then paving slabs then woodchip which is brilliant but a lot of work to get set up and I'm not sure it could be done in this weather.

I think you'd have to put something like turf protection mesh on top of the weed membrane if you did use it though otherwise the chickens will rip it up when they dig in the wood chips.

I used purple rubber when I first had my girls, many years age. Very expensive and a terrible waste of time, very hard to clean, smelly and slimey, and every now and then bits still turn up in the garden!!! Auboise fan here, but do have a covered WIR. Do use hard wood chips in the winter but havent got around to it this year, but have been very lucky with the weather so just do a big clean every month and replace Auboise.

Thank you one & all & for stopping me make a very costly mistake. I'm going for a heavy membrane but with small gage chicken wire over the top so my girls don't rip the membrane in about 2 days, as this will be going down on soil, so i'm just doing the measurements & ££ as it's a large space & totally exposed to the weather